Refractometer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
I just bought my first refractometer, after breaking countless hydrometers I decided its time to upgrade.

I calibrated with tap water, I know it says to use distilled but I can't imagine tap would throw it off more than a percentage of a brix. When I tested OG it came out pretty accurate, but testing the final gravity and one going into secondary, I got close to 12-13 brix when the hydrometer showed it was 1.013. Any clue why it is this off?

The alcohol in the fermented beer throws the refractometer off, as it was only designed to measure non-fermented sugar solutions.

If you know the OG, you take the reading from the refractometer (of the fermented beer) and run it through a calculation to determine the FG. Google for refractometer calculator and you'll find plenty of them.

I use an iPhone app called BeerAlchemy for it.

Make sure you calibrate your refractometer too, using distilled water and a known wort solution with hydrometer.

The default correction factor every tool uses is 1.04 but that's just a good guess, mine ended up being 1.026 or something and its slowly moving a bit as I add more data points.

Back