Refractometer, did i get the right one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a refractometer from amazon from a deal on homebrewfinds.com. It is a brix 0-32% model. Only after having it did I read somewhere that a brix refractomoter is not optimal for homebrewing because of the sugars it measures.

I calibrated it with distilled water at 68* f and I also check it against my hydrometer. My hydro with distilled water actually sat at 1.002. I even went to a LHBS to check mine against a new one and it honestly wasn't at 1.000 either, it was a little higher than that.

Yesterday I made an extract batch and wanted to check it with both. With my hydrometer I got about 1.061, with my refractometer I got 13.8% brix which according to beer smith is 1.055.

I just wanted to know what you all think about this and if I should try to sell my refractometer and buy one that has dual scale. Thanks in advance!

Does the refractometer have ATC ( automatic temperature compensation) and does your hydrometer have a thermometer for temperature correction?

Due to the minute amount of sample used on the refractometer stage, it is likely a different temperature than the sample you are reading with your hydrometer/test jar.

To try to eliminate this difference, leave the sample jar filled with the test sample and both the refractometer and hydrometer in the same place allow 30 min or more for everything to acclimate to room temp ( longer if colder/hotter than room temp)

Sample the liquid from the test jar with the refractometer and drop in your hydrometer and take readings from both.

If they are different, it is just as likely that your hydrometer scale is off. Don't obsess about the difference or you will drive yourself bananas. Pick one and stick with it. Make changes only if you truly lose confidence in your chosen method.

You should have a zero adjust on the refract. Zero it with clean water each day you use it and/or if you switch taking samples from a warm area to cold or visa-versa.
My $0.02

Thanks for your reply.
Yes mine does have ATC and both readings were taken at about 70*
I'm not trying to go crazy with this but I just feel that if I'm going to go as far as using beersmith, hydro, refract, whatever else.... I just think it's pointless if at the end I have an estimated gravity of, say, 1.068 and then when I take a gravity it's at like 1.060 I'd like to know why that is. I'd like to know if it's from my process of from my refractometer not being perfectly made for wort(brix).

Does anyone have any inputs on the whole brix vs SG scale refractometers?

The refractometers with dual scales are notoriously bad due to the scale. Whomever makes the ones most people seem to get apparently had troubles with the conversions or something. The brix and SG scales them selfs don't correlate especially on the upper ranges.

Search the equipment threads for refractometer issues and you will find a lot about it.

I understand the frustration... I have repeatable numbers and no drift. I'm not as concerned with accuracy as long as it is ballpark and precise. I have some VERY good and accurate hydrometers that I do not use specifically because by sticking with my refractometer (because its easy and fast) I know about how strong or weak my beers and worts are and I can see numbers relative to each other and that is at least as accurate as my hydrometers( OG vs FG or checking last hansel/first wort etc.)

Even if you are off by +/- .010 from your spindle to your refrac.... Who's going to know or care if the numbers you state are off? Compare OG to FG on one or the other and it's not going to be a noticeable difference to a judge or even the most critical taster. The instrument is as accurate as you believe it is. Reality has very little to do with it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just wanted to know if brix is ok for me to have for beer. And it sounds like the answer is yes. Thanks for your reply and yeah you're right as long as it's ball park it's good enough.

Latest posts

Back