Refractometer Calibration using solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombujo

Reaction score
Hi All,

My refractometer started giving inaccurate results. I am testing a sweet tea solution. Adding 42g sugar per litre of tea and readings are coming in at BRIX 3.5. Usually they would be bang on at BRIX 4.2

I checked with RO water and reading is at 0. I bought some calibration solution and it read BRIX 4.4, so I adjusted the refractometer according to the instructions to read BRIX 3.5. Now when testing the sweet solution it is way off.

Am I misunderstanding the usefulness of calibration solution? Could my refractometer just be in need of replacing?

Cheers
Jo

Have you try reading an unsweetened tea? First, the refractometer is not detecting only amount of sugar in solution, instead a lot of substance can contribute to the reading, including alcohol and salt. The tea itself might contain something that would give a reading that not a 0 on refractometer. Once it mixed with the sugar, it gave out different number rather than the just pure sugar solution.

Back