red truck IPA hop profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
anybody had the red truck IPA from palisade brewery?

I have to sya its one of the best IPA's i've tasted in a long time. I'd like to try to brew something similar, but i'm not sure where to go with the hop choices and at what times. It's listed as an american IPA, but i swear i taste a hybrid of an english/american hop profile in it. You've got your typical AIPA citrus going on, but there's a whole lot of woodsy, piney flavors and smells too...which is why i like it. something completely different than your run of the mill AIPA, and the aroma is fantastic. so, anyone have any ideas on a hop schedule for this. the malts are gonna be mostly 2-row and crystal, with a little wheat in the mix for some head. possible hops are probably EKG, fuggle, amarillo, northern brewer, cascade, centennial, etc.

anybody had the red truck IPA from palisade brewery?

I have to sya its one of the best IPA's i've tasted in a long time. I'd like to try to brew something similar, but i'm not sure where to go with the hop choices and at what times. It's listed as an american IPA, but i swear i taste a hybrid of an english/american hop profile in it. You've got your typical AIPA citrus going on, but there's a whole lot of woodsy, piney flavors and smells too...which is why i like it. something completely different than your run of the mill AIPA, and the aroma is fantastic. so, anyone have any ideas on a hop schedule for this. the malts are gonna be mostly 2-row and crystal, with a little wheat in the mix for some head. possible hops are probably EKG, fuggle, amarillo, northern brewer, cascade, centennial, etc.

I would agree with your estimates. Many hop heads would not like this beer, but I like the citrus grapefruit flavor that is not over powering. For my poor assumption of your recipe, here is my poor analysis and recipe that I will try next.

What we know from the website:
A bright IPA filled with lovely floral, pine, and citrus aromas and flavors. A soft sweetness followed with a lingering bitterness makes this beer an easy drinking friend suitable for all occasions.
6.3% Alcohol and 69 IBU.

Here are the basics from the BJCP:
A prominent to intense hop aroma featuring one or more characteristics of American or New World hops, such as citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc. Color ranges from medium gold to light reddish amber. Medium light to medium body, with a smooth texture. A decidedly hoppy and bitter , moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American and New World hop varieties.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.056 - 1.070
IBUs: 40 – 70
FG: 1.008 – 1.014
SRM: 6 – 14
ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Designing Great beers say that an AIPA is basically a subcategory of a Pale Ale. The basic ratio of the commercial brands have a ratio of:
89% Pale Malt
6% Crystal
10% Sugar or Dexedrine Malt
Very little have wheat at 7%

So a dextrine malt would be something like Munich, Carapils and Wheat or corn. We know from experience that the hops would be C hops. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, etc.

From personally drinking the beer and brewing beer, I think there is a solid Grapefruit flavor and Floral and viscous feel to the beer. Nice mouth feel.

So although not a clone, a solid start for a recipe based on the above:

3 Gallon Batch ( I measure for 15 Liters and divide by 19L):

2-Row 3kg
LME PALE 1.1 KG - Only because my kit does not allow me to add over 4 kg of grain and I have to hit 6.6 ABV.
Crystal 60L 200 grams
Munich Malt 300 grams
Carapils 100 grams

Hops
Columbus .5 oz 60 min
Chinook .8 oz for 30 min
Chinook .5 oz for 15 min
Citra .8 oz at 0 min for about 15 min at flame out.

Wyeast 1332 Northweast - Fruity notes high floc.

Statistics:
OG 1.073
FG 1.023
ABV 6.5
IBU 67.4
SRM 10.2

So basically, I do BIAB and I mash at 147 F for 15 min and then 156F for 45 min and then 15 min at 178F. I then drain the bag over my fermenter for about 20 min and I pour a gallon of boiled water over the bag and squeezze it. I get a point or two out of it. This gets me close to the SG. I add the LME in the last 20 to 15 min. This is only because I need the LME for the 6.6 ABV. I choose Columbus or Magnum hops for the bittering because of the high AA and low particulate in the wort. Chinook and Citra add a nice flavor. I stopped doing Dry hoping years ago and it only really adds to the smell. The 60,30,15, 0 is the standard hope additions you might play with the adds by 10 mins. so a 60, 20, 10 and 0 min adds. For the yeast, there is the standard American yeast, but the Northweast is my go to now, especially with the fruity notes.

Hope this helps. I will post my thoughts later.

Back