Red Solo Cup, and the Fall of Country Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NineMilBill said:
There's been a good sized faction of country music that has bashed everything that has came out of Nashville for the last 50+ years. Why are you guys acting like this concept is something new? Why are you associating Nashville country as the end-all be-all definition of country...proclaiming it to be dead?

I would never listen to Rascall Flatts and say "Holy S, the fall of country music". I would chalk it up as another Nashville produced idiocracy and throw my Waylon CD back in the deck.

Get real - and welcome to the struggle.

I think the same thing about rock music, but maybe the means of accessing good rock music is easier than country. No joke, try out the waylon jennings channel with Pandora and eventually you'll get some new garbage playing. The sheer popularity of Nashville country makes it impossible to escape.

I liken that to something like Nickelback with rock. Most of their music seems like a formula, finely tuned to a teenage audience. Each new song is basically the same, and they're pumped out as fast as possible. As much as I dislike hearing it, it's impossible to get away from.

I didn't single you out for your opinion on the song, I singled you out for calling the people conversing in this thread "hipster elitests". I just didn't see the reason for name calling on a thread you admittedly have little interest in.

If you believe the word hipster to be name calling, posting in the DRAMM or the internet in general probably isn't for you.

Secondly, I was referring to the people calling the song pathetic or dumb or stupid, not to those bemoaning the plight of country music.

Thirdly, don't confuse not listening to country music all the time with "little interest", they're two different things. :mug:

You just gotta look for it. Here is some great stuff.

Hellbound Glory

Justin Townes Earle

Devil Makes Three

Last edited by a moderator:
wildwest450 said:

Secondly, I was referring to the people calling the song pathetic or dumb or stupid, not to those bemoaning the plight of country music...

I used the word banality. The song is nothing but banal.
Here:
http://i.word.com/idictionary/banal

I don't think saying a song is banal makes me either a hipster or elitist, its just a statement of my opinion of the subject matter.

Funny thing...

I listen to country music all the time, and have NEVER heard this song. I'm not sure what the problem is. Seriously.

[edit] here it is. dumb, and it would have been a ball in college!

Good news, it's not country, it's whatever Jimmy Buffet sings. Country is safe (whew, that was a close one!)

Good news, it's not country, it's whatever Jimmy Buffet sings. Country is safe (whew, that was a close one!)

Obviously. God forbid an artist sang what they wanted to sing instead of what someone else told them they should be singing.

David Allan Coe even gave a shout out to Hank 3 for following in his father and grandfather's footsteps by playing whatever he felt like playing.

Love or hate DAC or any of the Hank's...one of the original outlaws gave kudos to an artist for paving their own way.

A college drinking song is fun. pawn you're right, it's not country...and everyone else needs to calm down.

This isn't 'Nam, Smokey, it's HBT....there are rules.

For all those who doubt country music at it's best don't exist any more.

Back