Red IPA recipe critque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
Have Red X and the hops on the way looking for input on this.. Thanks

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: WLP060
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 51
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 17 SRM
ABV: 7.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 65 degrees

Grain Bill
7 lbs. Red X
2 lbs. 2 Row
8 oz. Crystal Wheat
4 oz. Aromatic

Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 148 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.3 oz. Magnum 12.4% FWH.
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ 20 min.
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ flameout
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% whirlpool 165 for 30 min
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ Dryhop 3 days

You might want to go with a bit more hops. For my dry IPA's I shoot for a 1/1 OG/BU ratio. I'd think with a Red IPA you'd want a little more hops to combat the sweetness of the malts, maybe like 1/1.25 ratio.

Right now you're at 1.70 OG and 50 IBU's (70/50) I'd raise the IBU's to 80-85 maybe (70/85).

I might could change FWH to .5 oz, that would be 60. I use brewers-friend to build the recipe and most of the time use the BJCP guidelines. I just can't take crazy bitterness..

Your doing a FWH - I'd up that to a minimum of 0.75oz - but id recommend 1oz
Increase your end hops too and double your dryhop at the very least.

OK I get what you all are saying, however I think the IBU's are going to be way more that I want to handle.

Change FWH to a 60 min addition with all others the same this leaves me with 60 IBU.. I also only have 4 oz, of the Farmhouse blend to work with.

Boil & Hops
.3 oz. Magnum 12.4% 60 min.
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ 20 min.
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ flameout
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% whirlpool 165 for 30 min
1 oz. Farmhouse Hop Blend 10% @ Dryhop 3 days

If thats the case move you 20min addition to 10 minutes. for more hop flavour, less bitterness (its relatively subtle.)
although if I were you, I would recommend buying more hops. (your bitterness might suit your tastes, but you'll need substantially more hop flavour to make it anything like a Red IPA, you'll be more looking at an amber ale - especially given your projected FG is 1.015 there will be a significant amount of sweetness to balance out bitterness and hop flavor.

up to you, but more late hops is a good idea IMO.

Thanks, I'll look into what I can do to add some more hop flavor. May have to push this recipe down the road no LHBS.

Latest posts

Back