Red hots cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallkiller

Reaction score
I made a gallon batch of store brand apple juice, 1 lbs of boiled down red hots candy, and a couple of sticks of cinnamon and other spices. I used Cote de blanc red star champagne yeast. I moved it to a wee little carboy at about 1.020 and fridged it to stop fermentation. Going to bottle this weekend and let it age. Question: How long will it need to age to lose the rubbery off flavors and will more sweetness emerge with age? If so, how much sweeter in comparison.

I'd advise pasteurizing once you have bottled and they have carbed up. champagne yeast does not crash well and 1.020 is a lot of unfermented sugars still left

as to how long before it tastes good. hard to say. Its hard to find decent juice in texas and the red hots probably didnt help. good luck

Did the candy boil down well? And were you able to taste any of the gallon at any point to see how strong the candy taste was? That actually sounds really good

Yeah Kevin, we do have horrible selections. It's a real bummer. Cider season hit and I nearly flipped the isle when I found out all of the ciders had chemicals in them. This is for my neighbors so it has to be sweet. I couldn't hand out a dry cider or else I'd get them right back (Once again, Texans don't know anything about real cider). They recommended the red hots idea (old family recipe, I'm just adding fermentation lol).

Candy took about 5 minutes to boil down in about 1 1/2 bottles of water worth of water. Easy to work with. Just keep stirring.

I sampled it before I fridged it (Just need it to slow down until I can bottle it). It's got a rubbery taste that cider usually has when it's young and fermenting. Strong on the red hots spiciness and strong apple notes. Sweetness isn't as strong as you think, but that should change with about 3 weeks in the bottle.

Did you read the part about the yeast not stopping, and the need to pasteurize? Otherwise, sounds like you are making some bear spray time bombs.

I did. It's still in the 1 gallon glass jug with a airlock on it. I don't see how that is remotely a bomb at this point. But, like I said before, when I can get around to bottling is when I'll be sure to pasteurize it.

But, like I said before, when I can get around to bottling is when I'll be sure to pasteurize it.
The bottling is what I was referring to, as you hadn't mentioned or acknowledged it yet. Maybe you consider pasteurizing part of cider bottling, but many don't understand the necessity when doing a sweet cider.

The bottling is what I was referring to, as you hadn't mentioned or acknowledged it yet. Maybe you consider pasteurizing part of cider bottling, but many don't understand the necessity when doing a sweet cider.

Felt like common sense to me.

I'm curious to try other candies too
I like more natural flavors, but those seem to get eaten or off gassed during ferm. I did accidentally mix some home made ginger ale with some cider, and it was delicious. It was funny because I was already planning on mixing it for my next pour, and forgot that I had switched the lines between them the day before. The first pour was a nice blend.

I am going to try a small batch to see if the ginger survives ferm. I keg, so I can always add a ginger syrup post-ferm if it doesn't.

I like more natural flavors, but those seem to get eaten or off gassed during ferm. I did accidentally mix some home made ginger ale with some cider, and it was delicious. It was funny because I was already planning on mixing it for my next pour, and forgot that I had switched the lines between them the day before. The first pour was a nice blend.

I am going to try a small batch to see if the ginger survives ferm. I keg, so I can always add a ginger syrup post-ferm if it doesn't.

That would definitely make it more crisp. I can see that being really good with tons of carbonation to amplify that crisp note

I've done a simple "ginger ale" before just by grating a whole lot (no idea how much, but my arm hurt) into a gallon of boiling sugar-water. I cooled and pitched some yeast (shouldn't matter what type).

It fermented out really dry as you'd imagine, and was not too bad. Pretty one dimensional but definitely gingery. I think putting it in cider would be a great idea. You could boil in a small amount of sugar water and add the ginger (just to kill any nasties) to that before getting it onto the cider. I don't know if it matters whether you do in primary or secondary.

I've done a simple "ginger ale" before just by grating a whole lot (no idea how much, but my arm hurt) into a gallon of boiling sugar-water. I cooled and pitched some yeast (shouldn't matter what type).

It fermented out really dry as you'd imagine, and was not too bad. Pretty one dimensional but definitely gingery. I think putting it in cider would be a great idea. You could boil in a small amount of sugar water and add the ginger (just to kill any nasties) to that before getting it onto the cider. I don't know if it matters whether you do in primary or secondary.
Try adding some lemon, lime, or any citrus really; and some type of chili pepper. Habanero is good, but hard to control. It is, as you say, pretty one dimensional with just ginger, no matter how much you put in, and I have put in a lot.

There is a thing called Ginger Beer Plant (GBP) that is like a kombucha bacteria/yeast SCOBY that will give it a tangy tartness. I am researching where to buy it from to get the real thing, as there are a lot of fakes out there. Even fakes who say it's the other guys who are selling fakes. It is what the original ginger beer/ale was made with, without even using ginger I think, but now most recipes add it.

Instead of wasting all that time grating, I suggest cutting it into "coins", then throwing it into the blender with minimal water. Steep/cook the slurry with some sugar to leach, sterilize, and preserve. This is a good way to have multiple sodas from one soda water tap. Just add a dose of you favorite syrup after pouring. No yeasty flavor, though. Although I guess you could make some "cask" club soda. Hah.

There is almost no way to have anything be sweet using table sugar and yeast without pasteurizing, chilling, or high ABV. I force carbonate my sodas, mostly out of laziness. This avoids several issues at the cost of some flavor, but preserves others. Most any natural flavor will be reduced if fermented. I plan to try a soda by partially ferming, then crashing/racking just for some natural carb and a bit of yeast esters.

For a ginger cider, I will probably just add it at keg time. All ferming seems to do to pre-ferm flavors is strip them. The ginger flavor fades fairly quickly in the keg as it is.

It's been aging for over 2 months. It won't shake this nasty rubbery flavor. All in all, waste of time and not worth it

Back