Red Hook Brewery worker killed by exploding keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could anyone explain what he was doing? I don't really get why you'd pressurize a keg like that during cleaning.

iijakii said:
Could anyone explain what he was doing? I don't really get why you'd pressurize a keg like that during cleaning.

I suspect that the keg was returned to the brewery in an already over-pressurized state. The handing, jostling, tapping, etc. just set it off. Using air to evacuate returned kegs is normal, but I doubt Red Hook uses excessive pressure for this.

Sad news. I also suspect the keg was damaged. Not sure what kind of pressure they use to purge, but it was enough to cause the keg to rupture in two pieces.

Note: This is one of the main reasons these breweries don't like giving damaged kegs to the public.

I've worked at a local brewery for the last several years and I've seen a lot of kegs come back. Occasionally one will come back obviously ruptured from over-pressurization. I've seen a couple that haven't burst, but are domed out on top and bottom- I'm afraid of those. An older brewer I know recalls a man was killed (1970's) by a keg on the Mardi-Gras parade route. Lacking a regulator, he pieced together fittings to hook a CO2 bottle directly to a keg of Dixie. BOOM!

Back