Red beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themcnabs

Reaction score
I am looking for feedback on a red beer recipe. I am looking for a red beer that has a lot of caramel flavor yet smooth and drinkable.

12 gallons
OG = 1.047
Efficiency 75%

17# Briess 2-row
.5# Briess bonlander Munich
1# Pale Crystal - Thomas faucette
1# Crystal 45 - Thomas faucette
.5# Crystal 85 - Thomas faucette
.5# Crystal 120 - Thomas faucette

.75oz Horizon -11.2AA - 90 Minutes - 19 IBU
1.0oz Willamette - 6.4AA - 1 Minute - 2 IBU

WLP001 - 67 degrees

I like crystal 120L, but it's very TOFFEE tasting. It screams burnt sugar at you.

If you want a sweet caramel flavor, I'd probably remove that unless you know you love it.

Caramel flavor comes from lighter caramel malts- 10L, 20L, 40L. I'd probably leave out the 120L, and reduce the 85L, and increase the lower crystal malt amounts. I'd use 1 pound of 20L and .75 pound of 60L, as an example.

For hops, I'd change the bittering hops to 60 minutes, and add .5 ounce (up to an ounce, if you like hops flavor) at 15 minutes with willamette.

I like crystal 120L, but it's very TOFFEE tasting. It screams burnt sugar at you.

If you want a sweet caramel flavor, I'd probably remove that unless you know you love it.

Caramel flavor comes from lighter caramel malts- 10L, 20L, 40L. I'd probably leave out the 120L, and reduce the 85L, and increase the lower crystal malt amounts. I'd use 1 pound of 20L and .75 pound of 60L, as an example.

For hops, I'd change the bittering hops to 60 minutes, and add .5 ounce (up to an ounce, if you like hops flavor) at 15 minutes with Willamette.

So how about

1# Pale crystal - 25L
1# Crystal 45
.75# Crystal 65
.25# Crystal 85

I would need to add something to add color with this grain bill. I have carafa II Special, Carafa III Special and Midnight wheat on hand.

So how about

1# Pale crystal - 25L
1# Crystal 45
.75# Crystal 65
.25# Crystal 85

I would need to add something to add color with this grain bill. I have carafa II Special, Carafa III Special and Midnight wheat on hand.

You can definitely use the 120L, or some of the black malts if you want, for the color. I was just giving my opinion on the flavor and many people like it.

Instead of pale crystal, you could try CaraRed, which does give more red color than just regular Briess crystal malts in my experience.

You could go up to 15% crystal malts, if you have enough bittering to balance the sweetness (without too much).

You can definitely use the 120L, or some of the black malts if you want, for the color. I was just giving my opinion on the flavor and many people like it.

Instead of pale crystal, you could try CaraRed, which does give more red color than just regular Briess crystal malts in my experience.

You could go up to 15% crystal malts, if you have enough bittering to balance the sweetness (without too much).

I don't have a local home brew store so I can't get CaraRed. I have Pale crystal (25l), C-45. C65, C85 and C120. My plan was to use 2-row and Munich for a base and then the caramel grains to bring the sweetness and color. I do not want a heavy or roasty flavor. I want it to be smooth and drinkable. Any suggestions?

I don't have a local home brew store so I can't get CaraRed. I have Pale crystal (25l), C-45. C65, C85 and C120. My plan was to use 2-row and Munich for a base and then the caramel grains to bring the sweetness and color. I do not want a heavy or roasty flavor. I want it to be smooth and drinkable. Any suggestions?

Well, if that's what you've got to work with, then I think you've got a good base. You could go with your first recipe, but cut the 120L to 6 ounces as to not get too much of that strong "toffee" flavor that is a bit harsh.

Back