Red American Pale Ale Help/Thoughts/Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesslerr1

Reaction score
I'm putting together a Red American Pale Ale or whatever you want to call it.

Here is the recipe.
8.5 Lb 2 row
2.5 Lb munich (10L)
10 oz Melanoiden
4 oz Honey Malt
3 oz Roasted Barley (I saw some recipes with 2 oz and other with 4 oz so I went 3 oz)

0.5 oz Falconers Flight first wort
0.5 oz Falconers Flight 15 min
0.5 oz Falconers Flight 10 min
0.5 oz Falconers Flight 5 min
1 oz Falconers Flight flame out

I might sub out Falconers flight for Zythos or just plain centennial depending on suggestions and what the LHBS has in stock. I looking for a malty backbone with fruity, hoppy flavor and aroma, but nothing to weird though. I don't like the bite that west coast IPA's apas have which is why there is no 60 min addition and I am leaning to Falconers Flight over Zythos (lower co-humulone), but I have never used either hop blend so I don't quite know what to expect. Any thoughts on which would mesh better with the recipe and not get too "weird".

Cheers,
:beard:

I would cut out the melanoidin, as that will probably add too much maltiness when you've already got a healthy dose of Munich. You'll get sweetness from the honey malt as well. I just did an American red with the same amount of roasted barley and got a beautiful red coloured wort, for what it's worth. All-Centennial can work quite well in an american red.

Thanks for the suggestion I cut the melanoidin down a little 6 oz after talking to the guys at the LHBS.

I end up going with

0.5 oz centennial first wort
0.5 oz centennial 15 min
0.5 oz centennial 10min
0.5 oz Falconers Flight 5 min
0.5 oz of both centennial and Falconers Flight (1 oz total) at Flame out.

US-05 and seems to be doing well

Back