Red ale IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some help designing a red IPA recipe. I looked thru the database on here and didn't really find anything. I do have a couple requirements:

1. Extract
2. Redish in color
3. Well balanced between hop and malt flavor

I was thinking of a starting gravity around 1.060 to 1.065, I'd like some specialty grains with great hop aroma and flavor and a medium amount of hop bitterness.

Any ideas for what I'm going for? I really appreciate the input as I'm kinda stuck on this one.

Thanks!

One of the easiest ways to achieve a red color is a couple of ounces of Roasted Barley. 2 ounces or so in 5 gallons will net you a beautiful red/garnet hue.

Other than that I'm no help, I'm afraid. ;)

Bob

One of the easiest ways to achieve a red color is a couple of ounces of Roasted Barley. 2 ounces or so in 5 gallons will net you a beautiful red/garnet hue.

Other than that I'm no help, I'm afraid. ;)

Bob

Acutally, that does help A LOT!! Should I use light DME or pale DME?

I'd start with Briess's Golden Light DME. It's a good pale base. From there, I'd probably add half to three-quarters of a pound of CaraMunich. CaraMunich gives both caramel and malty flavors in one package. Add 2 oz of UK-sourced Roasted Barley for color. That'd do for the grist.

I always bitter with a relatively high-alpha bittering variety, because a 60-minute boil doesn't leave much if any flavor. Flavor/aroma hops to taste. If you like American, you can't really go wrong with the "C"s - Cascades, Centennial, Citra. If you prefer English IPA, I suggest East Kent Goldings - a LOT of them. ;)

Ferment with S-05 or equivalent liquid yeast.

That's about it, really!

Bob

Thanks for the help! Which CaraMunich should I use, US or German?

So like 6 - 7 lbs of Light DME
Steap about 2/3 lbs of CaraMunich and 2oz of roasted barley from the UK if possible for like 30 mins. or so?

Hops I'm unsure about right now, guess I'll have to research them. Looking for a mild bittering flavor, but good hop flavor and aroma.

I'm a whitelabs yeast fan, which one of theirs would be a good similiar yeast to the S-05?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help! Which CaraMunich should I use, US or German?

Whichever you prefer. The exact type/origin won't matter all that much; just note that the darker the stuff, the less you'll want to use. For example, if the German stuff is 60L and the American 20L, you can use 12 ounces of the US vs. 8 oz of the German. That'd be my rule of thumb.

Think of this recipe as something to tweak. You'll brew it, it'll be awesome - because YOU brewed it! :mug: - and you'll end up brewing it again, saying, "Gee, I wonder how it'd be different if I used German Caramunich, or a mix of Crystal and Victory, or..." ;)

So like 6 - 7 lbs of Light DME

Yup.

Steep about 2/3 lbs of CaraMunich and 2oz of roasted barley from the UK if possible for like 30 mins. or so?

Yup.

Hops I'm unsure about right now, guess I'll have to research them. Looking for a mild bittering flavor, but good hop flavor and aroma.

Like I wrote before, most high-alpha bittering varieties will work, because their flavor impact will be minimal. So damn near any variety will work for that purpose.

Pay closer attention to the varieties you choose for flavor and aroma additions, as they'll stand out in a beer like this.

I'm a whitelabs yeast fan, which one of theirs would be a good similiar yeast to the S-05?

WLP001 is the closest, though I prefer WLP051 (California V). It's a preference thing.

Thanks again!

Sure! Just know I'm by no means an IPA expert. I hope someone with more expertise in the intricacies of the style chimes in!

Cheers,

Bob

Here we go, think I got something:

7lbs of LDME
2/3 lbs of Caramunich 40 and 2oz. of roasted barley steeped together for 30 mins.
Columbus (tomahawk) 1oz at 60 mins
Hallertau .5oz at 15 mins.
Williamette .5oz at 10 mins.

and either WLP001 or WLP051. How does that sound. I used a beer calculator and my OG is 1.065, FG is 1.018, IBU's are 46 and color is supposed to be copper to light red!

What you think?

I think your finishing hops are light for IPA. You want a lot of hops character for IPA, and that means lots of late hops. Have a look at IPAs in the recipe database which have grists similar to yours, and take some notes based on tasting commentary.

Cheers,

Bob

I don't understand light...do you mean more flavor and aromoa from them or more bittering? Are the hops I chose a good combination? Do I need to add more of them or change the addition times?

Just trying to get an idea before I start searching. I think I want something a little spicy with good aroma and flavor, as far as finishing goes.

I really do appreciate the help, thanks!

Cris

prob could use more bittering as well as late additions

many recommend BU:GU (bitterness to gravity) ratio of 1:1 for IPAS

if you prefer to keep the IBUs lower to your taste that's fine but def need to add more late (flavor and aroma additions) prob could use at least 3-4oz of hops after the 20min mark and you should consider adding some dry hops as well (1-2oz)

my last IPA used 6oz via hop burst method (after 20min mark) and will be adding 3oz of dry hops when I keg

I meant more flavor and aroma. I think 46 IBU is plenty balanced at that gravity in terms of straight bitterness.

Terrapinj is right, IMO: I'd have at least three ounces total for flavor and aroma purposes, one each at 20, 10 and flameout, plus another ounce dry-hopped. If you find that's insufficient hops character, you can add more next time you brew the recipe. ;)

Bob

For reddish IPAs, I like using a little Munich malt. If you don't want to bother with a mini-mash, you can guy Munich-malt liquid extract; Northern Brewer sells a liquid extract that's a 50/50 blend of pale and Munich malts. That would give you the color and a lot of that malty backbone. Use the 3# container of that, enough DME to get your target gravity, a little (half-pound or so) of a medium crystal, and maybe two ounces of roasted barley.

I meant more flavor and aroma. I think 46 IBU is plenty balanced at that gravity in terms of straight bitterness.

Terrapinj is right, IMO: I'd have at least three ounces total for flavor and aroma purposes, one each at 20, 10 and flameout, plus another ounce dry-hopped. If you find that's insufficient hops character, you can add more next time you brew the recipe. ;)

Bob

I agree that my bitterness is probably going to be OK. Should I just add more Hallertau and Williamette and adjust my timing on them?

prob could use more bittering as well as late additions

many recommend BU:GU (bitterness to gravity) ratio of 1:1 for IPAS

if you prefer to keep the IBUs lower to your taste that's fine but def need to add more late (flavor and aroma additions) prob could use at least 3-4oz of hops after the 20min mark and you should consider adding some dry hops as well (1-2oz)

my last IPA used 6oz via hop burst method (after 20min mark) and will be adding 3oz of dry hops when I keg

So should I use more of the two hops I chose or pick different ones in different amounts?

I agree that my bitterness is probably going to be OK. Should I just add more Hallertau and Williamette and adjust my timing on them?

So should I use more of the two hops I chose or pick different ones in different amounts?

def need to add more hops, which varieties you prefer to use is up to your pallet

do you have any commercial IPAs in mind that you really like? i usually check the brewery's website to see if they list ingredients as well as search here and google for clone recipes. great way to get an idea of what ingredients and flavor profiles you like and then you can implement that into your own recipe.

Willamette is a derivative of Fuggles; if you want to try an English-style IPA, Shipyard brew a widely-available beer called - you guessed it - Fuggles IPA which is a good example of what Fuggles/Willamette will taste like.

I like the idea of a Hallertau IPA. I'd do that.

Bob

I do have a few IPA's I like, but they are hard to find in my area and I honestly can't remember the name of them. Sad I know.

Maybe I'll just keep this one simple and go all Hallertau or Williamette.

My LHBS has a hop purchase limit of 3oz. So I think I'll just use 2 oz. of flavor/auroma. When should I add them though and at what amounts? 20 mins, 10 mins, flameout? Not really sure to be honest.

would it be too much hassle to make two trips/purchases?

other option would be to order some hops online - im a big fan of farmhouse brewing - all sold in 4oz increments though so maybe you could get 4oz of hallertau or willamete and then get the other few oz from your LHBS

at the very least you should get an oz or so for dry hop if you can't add more at the end of the boil

maybe 1oz at 15min and 1oz at flameout if you can only do 2oz

My LHBS has a hop purchase limit of 3oz.

Oh man. I think i would cry.

So I think I'll just use 2 oz. of flavor/auroma. When should I add them though and at what amounts? 20 mins, 10 mins, flameout? Not really sure to be honest.

In general, the longer you boil, the more bitterness you get, the shorter you boil the more flavor and aroma you get. So you adjust timing of additions based on what you want from the hops. And then if you really want the aroma, dry hop after fermentation is done. :rockin:

if you're going 2 oz for flavor and aroma, try 1 oz at 10 min, 1 oz at flameout and see how that works for you. At least that's my answer for now. There's plenty of other perfectly good answers as well.

Ok I have an update. I was able to get 3.5oz of hops! I'm going to do an addition at 60 mins, 15 mins., 5 mins. and then at flameout. 60 minute will be Williamette and the rest will be Hallertau.

NOW, here is the issue. I got 2 oz. of roasted UK barley, but it says the color is 610. Isn't that going to make my beer too dark and not redish copper anymore?

I can't separate out the roasted barley and Caramunich b/c she mixed them all together.

Suggestions? http://www.weekendbrewer.com/grain.html that is his grain list

Look up West Coast Blaster by Jamil!! My favorite recipe! He calls it an Amber but it is about 65-70 IBU's and 6.6% ABV. I dry hop it with Cascade and Amarillo and it's very tasty, balanced IRA (India Red Ale).

Here's the recipe down toward the bottom of the page...
http://***********/stories/beer-sty...-beer-styles/127-american-amber-style-profile

prob not much benefit from a secondary

i'd leave it in primary for 2 weeks or so until you see stable FG then dry hop for a week or so (in primary) if you have any more hops

I brewed this earlier this year as I really love this beer from Oskar Blues. It turned out extremely well and was very close to the original except for a little heavier mouth feel. Although this was a very sticky tasting beer like the original and the hop presence was extremely good. I will be brewing this again with perhaps diminishing the 4 oz to perhaps 3 and increasing the 2 oz of Amarillo to 3oz.

Sorry for chiming in late on this but this is one of my favorite style and beers.

Gknight Imperial Red
5 gallons/19 L
Recipe Type Extract w/ Specialty Grains
Yeast 1 Vials WLP001 White Labs
Yeast Starter No
Additional Yeast or Starter No
OG 1.052
FG
IBU 70
SRM
ABV

Ingredients: Lbs
Briess Golden / Light LME 9.5
Munich LME 0.75
Crystal 45 1
Carastan 30/37 Great Britian 0.75
Chocolate Malt America 2.5 Grams
Boiling Time 60 min

Hops Oz Time Mins Type
Northern Brewer 0.75 60 Pellet
Columbus 4 10 Pellet
Amarillo 2 Dry Hop Pellett

Step by Step:
Steep crushed grains at 154 °F in 1.5 gallons of water.
Sparge with another gallon of water @ 170°F
Boil at least 3 gallons (9.5 L) and add half liquid malt extract & the other half late in the boil.
Boil wort for 60 minutes adding hops per scheduled times.
Cool wort to room temperature and drain or rack the wort off of the trub
Aerate the cool wort and oxygenate.
Ferment at 68 °F (19 °C) in Primary

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10-14 Days
Additional Fermentation: Dry Hop 7-10 Days

Update time!

I bottled this yesterday and tasted some from my hydro sample.

Color: It seems to be more light brown with a slight hint of red to it, but I'll wait until a carb'd version is in a glass

Taste: Fantastic! The hop bitterness up front bites good and it seems to then transform into a somewhat spicey hop finish that lingers on the palet. I can't wait to try one after sitting in the bottles for a couple weeks.

Cris

Back