Recycling stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a batch of chocolate stout I brewed about 6 weeks ago and I want to turn it into a cherry chocolate stout. The beer itself is ok, but I want to brew the recipe again and change a few things next time.

Anyway, just wondering, with beer that's already bottled, whats the process for re-brewing it? and what do I do about the beer oxidizing when putting it into the fermenter, or is this unavoidable?

Cheers,
Jono

I'm not sure I understand. You brew the same recipe again and make the changes you want, just like you brewed it the first time.

What are you wanting to do with the bottled beer? If you re-brew it, the alcohol will evaporate and the hop flavor will change (more bitter, less flavor/aroma). Or are you talking about aging bottled beer on cherries?

Hey, sorry I just realised how what I wrote could be confusing. I'm just wondering what to do with the beer I have bottled, in short I just want to add cherry to it and re-bottle. Is it just a case of racking it on top of cherry juice/purée, leaving it for week and bottling as normal? Is this what you mean by 'aging on cherries'?

I'm not sure I understand. You brew the same recipe again and make the changes you want, just like you brewed it the first time.

What are you wanting to do with the bottled beer? If you re-brew it, the alcohol will evaporate and the hop flavor will change (more bitter, less flavor/aroma). Or are you talking about aging bottled beer on cherries?

I wouldn't do it. If you want to add something to the beer in the glass as you pour it, that would work. You can get some cherry syrup, for example, or cherry liqour. But opening the bottles, pouring into cherries, letting it ferment again, rebottling and recarbing sounds like a whole lot of trouble for what will likely be a mediocre result.

i wouldn't do it. If you want to add something to the beer in the glass as you pour it, that would work. You can get some cherry syrup, for example, or cherry liqour. But opening the bottles, pouring into cherries, letting it ferment again, rebottling and recarbing sounds like a whole lot of trouble for what will likely be a mediocre result.

+1

Latest posts

Back