Recs for good airtight primary fermenting bucket (online)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otherchuck

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Seems an obvious question, but...I have been using the same plastic primary fermentation bucket that I picked up in a brewshop 20+ yrs ago. I want to get another one, so checked on Amazon, and I found that people frequently complain about buckets whose lid is not airtight. Is there any source/brand of food grade plastic fermenting buckets that y'all generally consider 'the best' or 'very reliable'? I prefer to buy online, partly because I can read reviews and also because there is not a brewshop near me. I also would need a lid with a hole for airlock. I think the size I want is 6 gal (I'll have to double check, but the one I have now is about 17.25" high and about 12" in diameter across the top). Kind of wish I picked up two 20+ years ago.

Thanks!

Otherchuck

Have you considered fermenting in used corny kegs? For six gallons, you'd need two kegs (three gal in each).

I've been using the common 6.5 gallon Ale Pails from my LHBS like these:

ale_pail_65_gallon_fermenting_24-5104-4.jpg

with lids that look like this:

GrommetedAlePailLid24-5106(1).jpg

The lids are branded as ROPAK, LIGHT WT COVER. #2 HDPE

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I get an excellent seal on those buckets, tight enough to bulge them when pressurizing the headspace when purging/flushing with CO2 at 8-10 psi.
The lids are not always easy to remove, you really need a good grip with your fingers on the edge. Even more difficult when they're stiff after cold crashing.
You can buy a plastic lid removal tool for them, which may not be an extravagant luxury to save your hands, fingers, and nails. Not sure if they're safe for the bucket rim, though. I still pry them off with brute hand force.

I also have buckets with tamper proof, deep screw lids featuring a large rubber/neoprene o-ring seal inside a groove that slides over the bucket's rim when tightening. They are very airtight. They're often used as "recovery containers" when shipping chemicals, liquids, and such.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24116&catid=626
Shipping those quickly kills the deal for many, unless you're lucky to have a warehouse/distributor nearby to pick them up from. I got a whole bunch for free.

I drilled a 1" hole in the center for a bung. Those buckets come in various sizes, 3.5, 5, and 6.5 gallons.
This one is 3.5 gallons, great for half batches:

3.5-Gallon-Bucket-Fermentor_480.jpg

Back