Recovering from overly vigorous ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euripidez

Reaction score
5anxo.jpg

My first PM oatmeal stout (Kenya Gold) turned out to be a pretty big beer (1.075) at 3 gallons. I nailed my temps on this one and used a yeast starter. I have never seen fermentation this vigorous! How do I recover from this? I know this isn't bad at all...its good, in fact, but do I remove the airlock for a few moments to clean it? Or do I clean it the best I can and add some more sanitizer to it once the krausen subsides? Thanks for the input.

Cheers for PM brewing! :rockin:

Ouch...I've been there before. The first time I made a hefe it did that, but I managed to get by with popping the airlock out for a few minutes to clean it out. My understanding is that at that early in the fermentation, there is enough CO2 in the headspace that oxidation shouldn't be a big concern...at least not in a brief period of time.

Good luck! :mug:

Whats with the duct tape? Looks like a breading ground for bacteria with all that dryed wort.

I acually have a dedicated 3 peice airlock with 3/8 tubing stuck into the middle post for blowoff purposes
Doing a quick swap/clean-up wont hurt anything

I cut the end off one of those "S" type airlocks & inserted it into one end of a length of 3/8" tubing for a blow off. Other end into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan. I also keep a few extra clean airlocks around (3 piece type) for such occasions.

The co2 produced by fermentation will protect your beer while you put on a blowoff hose. If you are really worried just put a piece of sanitized foil over the top of your fermenter while you are cleaning.

0rtnf.jpg

All clean!

I did the tin foil thing. Thanks for the replies.
Ill make a trip to LHBS to get a different bung and a blowoff tube for my next batches.

The duct tape was used out of desperation to keep the bung from blowing off.

Back