Recommended yeast for an "old british beer" porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
I am brewing an porter recipe from the book(let), Old British Beers, put out by the Durden Park Beer Circle. I want to brew a Porter and am interested a yeast that would closely approximate yeast of that time period. Does anyone have a specific recommendation? I will probably end up splitting between three yeasts to see how they all come out.

Pretty much any of the yeasts available should get you close. Mr. Malty offers a list of where they originated from.

I would have to say WLP 002 English Ale Yeast, leaves a little more residual sweetness than most of the other strains out there and would probably be well suited to an older porter recipe. Are you going to let it sour like the porters of old?

If you want historical volume, more beer was brewed with Whitbread (wy1098,99) than pretty much all the rest combined. Though as for taste, I am partial to wlp002/1968, 1318, and 1882. Actually, I would recommend giving Thames Valley II (1882) a try as it is available this time of year. It makes a very nice porter.

I can't say I know what an old British beer porter is, but I'm in love w/ 1968. Used it in an ESB, American Brown, British mild, and RIS, and all have been really good. Nice touch of fruitiness and strong fermentation.

Just an update. I also emailed Wyeast asking for their recommendation and they recommended 1318. From their web page.

YEAST STRAIN: 1318 | London Ale III™

Originating from a traditional London brewery, this yeast has a wonderful malt and hop profile. It is a true top cropping strain with a fruity, very light and softly balanced palate. This strain will finish slightly sweet.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Big, big fan of 1318 here. I've used it in just about every american and english style of beer, and I can't get enough of it.

Back