recommended stainless mash tun kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
just purchased a 10 gallon stainless mash tun kettle that had serious leak issue. returned it to the supplier and now looking for something else. preferably welded, but open to weldless if it has proven success. just doing 5 gallon batches, so only a 10 gallon tun is really needed. not interested in a keggle. any recommendations?

I have a more beer mashtun I like it a lot it is a mega-pot I have also heard people have walked with the blichmann mashtuns

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have a more beer mashtun I like it a lot it is a mega-pot I have also heard people have walked with the blichmann mashtuns

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

thanks for the response. is the morebeer welded or weldless? if weldless, did you have any leak issues?

$169 isnt really the price of that keggle on Adventures in Homebrew as it doesn't come with a valve assembly for that price. You would be paying $200 for it with a just the valve and no dip tube $230 for a full assembly. You can get a Megapot 1.2 from Norther brewer for 10g /w valve $200 15g $249 /w valve. I personally would want a kettle over a keggle if prices were in the same ballpark.

That's not to say the megapot is the best one out there I had just been looking at it so it came to mind.

If your paying $30 for a ball valve your getting ripped! My SS ball valve cost me $12. SS compression fitting $4, dip tube free. Used a piece of copper i had left over. ~$185 for a complete 15gal kettle. The megapot with valve is $249 on northernbrewer and it doesnt come with a diptube.

For 15g yes. He said he wanted a 10g pot which is 200 and also is included in NB flat $8 shipping where as the keggle costs $23 to ship.

Personally I would still buy a pot for that much money rather than buy a keg with a single welded coupling that could be built for $50 off craigslist.

Anyhow this isn't the point of the thread...

If you can build one as nice as the one they sell for $50, ill pay for the supplys. Keep in mind its a new keg($100 or so). I could also buy a used pot on craigslist for $50

My experience with weldless fittings is that they leaked on my cooler MLT or they twisted too easily on keggles. After attempts at fixing this I ended up having a few fittings welded. They no longer leaked but I was not impressed with the quality of the welds and price.

Another member generously posted a cheap way of dimpling and silver soldering the couplings. The process was simple and the tools were cheap.

Back