Recommendations needed to sour a cream/blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed an extract cream ale kit with honey malt and belgian biscuit malt specialty grains for a quick turn-around kegged beer to serve at a reception. The beer turned out more like a dirty blonde (golden-brown, if that makes sense) with a toasty flavor to it.

The crowd liked the beer well enough but didn't go crazy for it. I have about 2 gallons left in the keg and don't really care to drink it as is. I have been considering adding a mixed culture blend.

Any recommendations for which blend to choose? This would be my first venture into mixed fermentation. I don't like much, if any, funk in my sours. Lately I have been on a kick of drinking Oud Bruins and barrel aged/mix culture dark beers from various breweries. WLP 665 Flemish Ale Blend sounded like it might fit the bill......

If its only 2 gallons, why not add some bottle dregs of your favorite sour? It is cheaper and you get to drink the beer :mug:

Sorry to bring the bad news, but you can probably rule out most souring strains because of the bitterness (hops) already in there. I'm not a sour beer expert though.....I've just brewed my first one!

Next time you're drinking one of those barrel aged sours, just swirl up the dregs and dump them in.

Thanks for the suggestion on the dregs! I know Lacto is IBU sensitive but don't think that either Brett or Pedio are affected by hops as much (if at all) so I'm sure the dregs idea will work out pretty well for a little experiment.

Back