Recommendation for oak barrel beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Hey guys. My plan is to make a beer to gift to my groomsman in my wedding coming up in September. I am looking for a recipe for a beer that would work well served in these barrels I attached below. They are all big beer guys, so any style is in play. Has anyone made a real successful beer in an oak barrel or recommendation of a good one?

Thanks guys

barrel.jpg

I'm very familiar with those barrels, which are usually Hungarian oak. I just want to clarify if you're only serving, or aging in that barrel and then serving.

Either way, it is going to be flat. As those barrels will leak with prolonged use and you would have to use a Beer Gun or the like to fill it with a carbed up beer. I would look to a beer that could handle being on the flatter side, like a big stout.

Is it a functional cask? If so, you could make an English beer (a bitter, for example, but anything could work) and serve it from the cask directly, like tradition demands. You'd basically use the cask as your keg and serve the beer once it's carbed--so it's not just a serving vessel, but is more like a giant bottle, naturally carbed. My sister's boyfriend does that, but I haven't had any direct experience with it myself.

Of course, it would still be flat-ish and warm-ish, so either an English beer or a big beer would probably be a good choice. If it's being served in September, a big beer might not have enough time to have its flavors settle. So maybe an ESB?

edit: just read KeystoneHomebrew's post more closely, and I agree with all that.

motorneuron is right on with an English cask-ish beer as well. I for some reason didn't even think of that. A nice, bright, and floral ESB is just as good warm and flat as it is from a proper bottle.

hmmm....well now I am not sure this is a good idea with homebrew :(

I know this isn't really a brewing topic...but from a gift standpoint...would a whiskey or rum stand the test of time in one of these? Based on your experiences?

I've been wanting to do this exact thing for a long time and I did a lot of research. The main thing that kept me from doing it is the fact that, with these small barrels, you'll end up with over oaked beer in no time. So basically you put it in the barrel, taste it daily, then drink the whole thing when it's oaky enough. You really can't squirrel it away and drink it over time as you feel like it.

NOW, what you could do is get maybe a 2 gallon barrel, brew a batch, rack it to the barrel, and have your groomsmen over to drink it when it's oaky enough. It's not as cool as a mini barrel they can keep, but it's still kind of special.

White whiskey. Gets better as it sits in the barrel, these barrels evaporation rate is high, if its smaller than 5gallons, but the whiskey goes pretty fast. At 6 months its delicious.

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old topic, but saw it and figured why not ask..... what would you think of just using the barrel like a growler? Maybe not picking up the oak, but it sure is a cool “old fashion” way to serve your beer. I know it has to be drunk then and there, and will lose cool temp over some time.... it a 2 gallon barrel will go pretty quick with my friends

Back