Recommendation for good wheat beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTaylor

Reaction score
I am looking for some wheat beers, preferably unfiltered, that may be available in the midwest. I have not had a lot of experience with this type, blue moon and shock top, and was not impressed with those. Looking to expand my knowledge and tastes for them, thanks in advance for the help.:mug:

Greg

Imports, but usually gettable: paulaner hefeweizen, franziskaner weissbier, hoegaarden.

Boulevard unfiltered wheat from kc.

There's a few. A lot of breweries do a hefeweizen, but the season is kind of over.

Shock Top, Hoegaarden and Blue Moon, while technically "wheat" beers, are all Belgian style beer and are quite different than a hefeweizen or American wheat. For non-Belgian wheats, there are a lot out there. I like Goose Island 312 and Widmer Hefeweizen. Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat is ok but IMO is too yeasty and fairly flavorless. I know unfiltered wheats are supposed to be yeasty, but I think it's overly yeasty. That's just my $0.02

Just tried Crux Fermentation Project's Bavarian Hefeweizen tonight at Bend Brewfest. Probably not going to be available in the Midwest anytime soon, but great beer.

Check out Pyramid Wheat Ale for an excellent American Wheat, and Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin if you like IPAs.

I personally don't care for american wheat beers, so you can default to others' suggestions.

I'd stick mainly with German offerings. Weihenstephan pretty much sets the bar for german hefeweissens. Paulaner, hacker-pschorr, franziskaner are all fine examples as well. These should all be available to you as well.

I'd recommend Bells Oberon for an Amercian wheat.

If you want to go German, then you're probably going to run into some Hefeweizen beers, which have a notably different flavor.

Blue moon is kind of a cross between a belgian wit, and an American wheat beer. It's brewed like a wit but uses a clean American yeast, so the flavor isn't as funky.

Back