Recommend a Commercial Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you are on the West Coast so some of these beers you may not be able to get very easily but here are some of my favorites

Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Anchor Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter
Fuller's London Porter
Original Flag Porter
Sam Smith's Porter

I have also heard great things but not tried these
Alaskan Smoked Porter
Black Butte Porter

Second report: The Deschute's Black Butte Porter was very good. I like the Maui Coconut porter better, but this was still a very good beer.

Gonna pick up the Breckenridge Vanilla one tomorrow and have it and the Anchor one.

Dad gum kegs need to hurry up and carb already so I can stop buying beer.

So far I have only tried 6 different Porters. Some were OK, but most were way too roasty, almost smokey, flavored for me.

I love a good stout, and stouts are one of my favorite types of beers. I love them all too, Irish Dry, Oatmeal, Coffee, Imperial, you name it.

Here's what I have tried...
Firestone Walker Reserve Porter- I liked this one the best
Odell Cutthroat Porter-
BJs Brewhouse PM Porter
Sam Adams Honey Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter
Baltika #6

The only one of these I liked was the Firestone, the Odell, BJs and Sam were tolerable, but it was hard to finish a hole one.

So, do I just not like Porters, or have I just not found the right one yet? I would think they were extremely similar to a stout, which I love... but this just doesn't seem to be the case.

I have reviewed over 550 different beers. I love trying new things, but my experiences with these few porters leave me timid to try it, and always falling back on other styles that I enjoy more.

Any suggestions?

Black Butte By Dechutes Brewery is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are on the West Coast so some of these beers you may not be able to get very easily but here are some of my favorites

Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Anchor Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter
Fuller's London Porter
Original Flag Porter
Sam Smith's Porter

I have also heard great things but not tried these
Alaskan Smoked Porter
Black Butte Porter

Cant Go wrong with any on this list!

This is my vote and my favorite porter... brewed it a few months ago and didnt last long. The recipe is the 200 commercial clone book.

Best commercial example as far as I'm concerned and I did a clone as well (thanks J. Palmer!) with the same result - it didn't last long.

I know this is an old thread, but since Porter is my my favorite style I have to add a few of my all time favorites.

Uinta King's Peak Porter
Wasatch Polygamy Porter
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Flying Dog Scottish Porter

Back