Recipes for same cheese with enormous variations in temperature - ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
My favorite cheese for making - at this time is squeaky curd. Takes about 4 hours but then it's ready for eating that day or the next depending on the recipe (some call for cheddaring while others call for overnight drying...) but I am curious why different recipes cite very different temperatures for curing (some at 88F , some at 90F ,others at 95) , and for stirring and removing whey. Some recipes ask me to take the curds to 100F others to 102F while others ask for 116F. If these temperatures are essentially "similar" what is the actual preferred range of temperatures that is critical and if these temperatures are essentially very different what does one temperature have over the other? In other words, what am I gaining/losing using the lower vs the higher temperature. As a coda, I would imagine that these temperatures are significant as all recipes ask that we raise the temperature slowly - over about 30 minutes to these marks but the speed of increase is then quite different (And, yes, the curing temperatures are different but the length of the range from lower to higher is not the same). Thoughts? Thanks

Back