Recipe with what's on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Anyone?

8oz Cherry Wood Smoked
33.5# Rahr 2 Row
12oz Briess Choc
12oz Muntons Choc
12oz Biscuit
10.75oz Special B
1# Aromatic
.75# Honey Malt
12oz Centennial
12oz CTZ

Currently on tap, saision, IPA, Amber

Thinking I should make a lager and use the 2 row, Biscuit, special B, and aromatic... Maybe the Honey Malt. Def not expert at making up a recipe, just looking to use what I have on hand

Any help is very much appreciated

Anyone?

8oz Cherry Wood Smoked
33.5# Rahr 2 Row
12oz Briess Choc
12oz Muntons Choc
12oz Biscuit
10.75oz Special B
1# Aromatic
.75# Honey Malt
12oz Centennial
12oz CTZ

Currently on tap, saision, IPA, Amber

Thinking I should make a lager and use the 2 row, Biscuit, special B, and aromatic... Maybe the Honey Malt. Def not expert at making up a recipe, just looking to use what I have on hand

Any help is very much appreciated

I made a hoppy red rye ale with some special b but I didn't really like the dried fruit taste it added. I only used a little bit too but it went a long way. If you want to do a lager I'd use the 2row, aromatic and a tad of chocolate malt just for some color.

If I were you I'd make an IPA with the 2 row and tad of honey malt and all centennial hops. A little goes a very long way with honey malt so be careful if you haven't used it a lot yet. Do a low mash at 148 F so it'll be really dry. Make it around 1.068 with about 65 IBU's and do a nice hopstand at the end and of course dry hop. Mmmmmmm :)

So how about this, not sure how well this all works together?

9# 2row 87.8%
8oz Biscuit 4.9%
8oz Special B 4.9%
4oz Aromatic 2.4%

.25oz CTZ 13.1AA @ FWH
.25oz CTZ 13.1AA @ 30min
.25oz CTZ 13.1AA @ 15min

Est OG - 1.051
Est FG - 1.013
Est IBU - 23.67
Est SRM - 10.51

With those hops you are looking at APA, IPA, or American Brown. You already have an IPA and an Amber, so I might go with a Brown using the CTZ and maybe a little Centennial. You could use up some combination of the biscuit, special b, and smoked malt for flavor depending on what you want to go for.

huh? With a Lager yeast :mug: Keep it simple

recipe.jpg

SmAllGrain's first one looks good to me, but I'd double the aromatic and use a Belgian yeast

85% 2 row
8% biscuit
5% Special B
2% chocolate

Some kind of English dark mild... CTZ in a small amount would be ok.

I never stick with styles when I brew. Throwing the recipe together is over half the fun!

Back