Recipe suggestions for new brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbp

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently got into homebrewing when my roomate got a kit for his birthday and started getting into it. His first batch actually ended up blowing the lid off the fermenter and he is back to square one. I decided id like to try it for myself. Im a big fan of the drink "old fashion", bitters/orange/whiskey/brown sugar, etc depending on where you order it from. Any suggestions on how I could try and replicate this taste to a beer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Coriander and dried orange peel give good citrus taste to a beer.
Caramelize some sugar and add to the mix.
Simcoe hops have strong grapefruit aroma.
I hear "old fashions" are more popular than cheese in Wisconsin.

hillbp said:
Hey all,
Im a big fan of the drink "old fashion", bitters/orange/whiskey/brown sugar, etc depending on where you order it from. Any suggestions on how I could try and replicate this taste to a beer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I am confused, what exactly do you mean.Are you referring to an Old Fashion mixed drink?

Blender said:
I am confused, what exactly do you mean.Are you referring to an Old Fashion mixed drink?

I think the OP wants to incorporate the flavors of an Old Fashioned mixed drink into a beer.

I think this would take a few batches to get right but the results could be very interesting. (sorry can help more than that :p )

Yes Beerrific is right, im refering to the whiskey mixed drink called an "old fashion". The way I have had them the most they consists of meddling an orange slice with bitters and brown sugar, then whiskey is added and/or club soda or ginger ale. Sometimes they are garnished with cherries too. The hardest part I think would be trying to get the complex flavor of the bitters to come out with the right combination of ingrediants.

Eddieboy has a good approach.

Or, maybe find a good spicy wit recipe, use cascade hops instead of the "called for" and add some lactose for a touch of sweet flavor.

Course, ya could just mix up an old fashioned and then brew yourself a "regular" beer. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back