Recipe suggestions for Mild Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Hi all

I purchased the wrong grain the other day (Mild Ale Malt) and also have a few leftover specialty malts from the last weekend's brewing, plus various hops in the freezer.

I was hoping to put them to use in a beer.
(Alternatively I could just soak the grains in fish oil and use them as fishing burley)

I've been reading up on Mild Ales and Bitter Ales, but don't have any expertise in making recipies or these particular beer styles and was hoping someone could suggest a recipe.

Grains available: (Sorry guys, I'm in Metric)

3Kg Mild Ale Malt
500g Pale Malt
250g Dry Malt Extract
500g Medium Crystal Malt
250g Munich Malt
250g Cara-Pils Malt
100g Chocolate Malt

Hallertauer, Saaz and Styrian Goldings hops available.

I believe I have the right ingredients to make a Mild Ale, however I'm looking for something with a bit more flavour and bitterness (Something along the lines of a Special Bitter).
However the Bitter recipies that I've found call for using Pale Malt as a base, then use Crystal and Chocolate for darkening and adding the complexity.
Perhaps Mild Malt, with less Crystal will acheive the same goal.

Can anyone see a way that I could brew a good tasy beverage from this?

Thanks

Jason

This is a delightful mild ale. Don't know why you couldn't just use your malt in place of the base malt in this one.

Mild Ale malt also makes for a great porter or stout, if that's more to your liking.

Thanks mate, that's perfect.
Orfy does submit popular recipies :)

Back