Recipe sites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkhomer

HammerdownWPS
Reaction score
I'm not trying to diminish the recipes on this forum, but does anybody have any good sites they like to look for recipes on? I use pinterest a lot to look at recipes but about 90% of the all grain recipes on there were from crafted pours. Seems like that site is broken..bummed.. I liked it a lot. Just curious if there were some more good ones out there.

The AHA web site and here on HBT! I will google to find others, but only after checking these two sites.

Northern Brewer. They have recipes posted for all of their kits. And they refund any kit that you are not satisfied with, so they stand behind those recipes. I've "borrowed" a couple recipes from them, and they have been very solid beers.

Not a website, obviously, but the book "Brewing Classic Styles" has really good, to-style, recipes. I think every brewer should brew their way through that book.

What kind of beers do you like to brew?

Always looking for new ideas. Right now I have a red ale and a APA fermenting. Brewed a cream ale not long ago. Wanting to do a big IPA, probably a 3 GAL batch.

When I started looking for brewing info online I watched lots of BrewingTV. They were advertising a lot of Northern Brewer stuff, but their recipe section shouldn't have as bad of a problem.

One of those guys just wrote a recipe book, and you can find most of his recipes on The Growler. Another one of those guys started what I consider a spiritual successor to BTV in Chop&Brew (also has food recipes).

I also have the book Brewing Classic Styles, but you can find most of those recipes in old episodes from TheBrewingNetwork (might be a different show than I linked to, though).

BYO has recipes, too.

I have also looked at recipes from online brew shops that include the grist description and hop schedule with their kits.

When I started looking for brewing info online I watched lots of BrewingTV. They were advertising a lot of Northern Brewer stuff, but their recipe section shouldn't have as bad of a problem.

One of those guys just wrote a recipe book, and you can find most of his recipes on The Growler. Another one of those guys started what I consider a spiritual successor to BTV in Chop&Brew (also has food recipes).

I also have the book Brewing Classic Styles, but you can find most of those recipes in old episodes from TheBrewingNetwork (might be a different show than I linked to, though).

BYO has recipes, too.

I have also looked at recipes from online brew shops that include the grist description and hop schedule with their kits.
BYO seriously embraced the digital format, and now charges $30 for access to most of their stuff, including the majority of the recipes.

BYO seriously embraced the digital format, and now charges $30 for access to most of their stuff, including the majority of the recipes.

I have only made one of their recipes and it was underwhelming. Not necessarily their fault, it might have been the brewer.

I too use the recipes of Northern Brewer kits. Go to a kit open the page and look for this:
Beer Recipe Kit Instructions File click on it. It also gives instructions for brewing it. I often use one and make alterations to change things up. Something like finding an APA and then adding in some smoked malt etc.

I use Beersmith 3 to make and/or alter recipes. I also use the ones in the Beersmith cloud.

Most often these days I am making a recipe from scratch using malts, hops and yeast that I have on hand.

Brew Your Own, American Homebrewers Association, and Craft Beer & Brewing are fairly reputable sources. Some of the CB&B contributors are a bit slanted though — no matter how many times they advertise it, Maris Otter just doesn’t work for all styles. The clone recipes and guest contributors are excellent though.

I really appreciate The Mad Fermentationist as well. Not sure how often we’ll see new recipes now that his brewery is quite real.

Great question. I am very picky about what recipes I use. I bought classic styles to have a base to work from, but that isnt the end all. Great recipes are worth hunting and pecking for. So far there has been so many good ideas...

Yeast companies
Byo
Brewing classic styles
Nhc winners
Chop and brew
Brew tv
The brewing network
Northern brewer
Other beer kit retailers

I also love recipes for my favorite beer released by the brewer

Pliney the elder, founders breakfast stout, elevated ipa, most avery beers have been released by brewer for example.

Latest posts

Back