Recipe Scaling - Fort George Sunrise OPA Recipe Inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
So, I fell in love with Fort George's Sunrise Oatmeal Pale Ale while spending some time in the Seattle area earlier this summer and wanted to brew something similar. I reached out to Fort George and they kindly replied with a recipe scaled for their 8.5 barrel system.

I have BeerSmith but I'm not too sure of the best way to scale this down to 5/10 gallon batches. The grain bill is simple and not a problem to scale but what about hop utilization? See recipe below:

Grain Bill:
420lbs of Organic Pale Malt
75lbs of Oats( We use Breiss Oat flakes, but I am sure any variety will work)

Hop Schedule:
80min-
1lb Amarillo
1lb Centennial

20 Min-
1.5lbs Amarillo
1.5lbs Centennial

0 Min-
2lbs Amarillo
3lbs Centennial
1lb Summit

Dry Hop:
4lbs Amarillo

So we aim for 150deg mash temp and then rest for 40mins. our starting gravity is 1.049. We ferment at 68deg and raise it to 74 after it reaches 1.030 to allow for a diacetyl rest temp at the end. Our finishing gravity is 1.009. We then pull the yeast and dry hop it. We use 1968 London ESB yeast from wyeast

One of my favorites too. Have you already tried out the recipe?

I reached out to them too about the hop schedule. They didn't break it down by type but they guy told me that if he was brewing 5 gallons he would try 1 ounce first addition. 1 ounce second addition. 3.5 ounces final addition and 3.5 ounces dry-hop.

Haven't gotten around to trying to brew it yet, but the info you found helps. Have you tired it yet?

going by their recipe:

for 5 gallons:

8 lb pale
1.4 lb flaked oats

80min-
.3 oz Amarillo
.3 oz Centennial

20 Min-
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Centennial

0 Min-
.6 oz Amarillo
1 oz Centennial
.3 oz Summit

Dry Hop:
1.25 oz Amarillo

but i agree with @malaleb and i'd up the flameout and dryhop amounts by 2 to 3 times...

One of my favorites too. Have you already tried out the recipe?

I reached out to them too about the hop schedule. They didn't break it down by type but they guy told me that if he was brewing 5 gallons he would try 1 ounce first addition. 1 ounce second addition. 3.5 ounces final addition and 3.5 ounces dry-hop.

Haven't gotten around to trying to brew it yet, but the info you found helps. Have you tired it yet?

I actually did brew this.. I used Beersmith to get my to 45 IBUs. It was around 1 oz first addition, 1 oz second, and heavy handed the flameout with around 4.5oz lol.

Unfortunately, this beer got a brett infection (my first unintentional in years of brewing!) likely from one of my funky beers nearby. I've since been feeding it all types of dregs from commercial sours - we'll see if it turns into something drinkable.

I would like to attempt this again soon though

Back