Recipe sanity check: Oaked Red Rye Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
Skip to the bold at the bottom for the twist.

Have a scotch drinking friend coming to town and I want to win him over with homebrewing. He also likes IPAs. I have scotch ale and barely wine on hand so I thought a high gravity oaked IIPA might be just right.

ABV 8.4
OG 1.086
IBU 65.5
Color 14.3 srm

15.000 lb 2-row Pale
4.000 lb Rye Malt
1.000 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L

(All Pellet)
Nugget 1oz 60min
Nugget 1oz 20min
Nugget 1oz 10min
Nugget 1oz 0min
Nugget 2oz dry hops
Yeast = Wyeast - London Ale*

4 weeks primary
4 weeks on oak chips (1oz?)
dry hops at 7 days from kegging

Never used rye before. Also I want to be careful with the oak as it has overpowered my beer before. The trick is that I will be away for 2 months and I will only really be able to get my spouse to add things to the primary = there will be no racking. I've done lots of beers with only a primary but wonder about how this will effect the oak chips (if they might just sink into the trub). Thanks!

*also not sure about this yeast selection
edit: corrected type-o in OG

1st off, rye will give you plenty of body, so replace the Carapils with sugar to help dry this out and avoid it being a hoppy barley wine. Even if you dry the beer out, the rye gives it a decent mouthfeel.

Regarding the oak, use cubes, not chips. That way the longer time won't hurt it. Search for the Firestone Walker CYBI recipes on here for amounts. But I think 4 weeks with an ounce will be fine. I would toss them in a little boiling water for 5 minutes to sanitize, then dump the water out and only add the cubes. 4 weeks later if you taste it and its not enough, well then you can chuck some more into the keg (assuming you're kegging).

Quaker, thanks for the advice. I had not realized there is a difference between chips and cubes - looks like I will have to do a little research. My LHBS only has chips - so that is a factor. I was planning on soaking them in 0.1 L of whiskey starting on the brew day. I do like the idea of adding them to the keg to taste.

I was following this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/founders-reds-rye-ipa-clone-151489/ for the large amount of carapils. It did seem a little odd... Will revise. Now that I think about it a super thick head might be a little out of place anyways.

If you were down around 1.065 like that Founders thread, then I could see leaving the Carapils. You had a typo, but I assume you are targeting 1.086. Thus I think you need to dry it out with the sugar as in many DIPAs.

Rye will give you plenty of head retention.

Well, you have certainly given me some home work for the holidays...

Just so I understand - is using sugar to make it dry a way to get the target OG without introducing more non-fermentable sugars? Is this just to be to style? Or does it have to do with some kind of flavour interaction?

Thanks again! and thanks for catching that type-o.

The sugar will get you to your OG and lower your FG. If you used a big healthy pitch and got 75% attenuation, then this would still finish above 1.021. The simple sugars (just plain white sugar) will fully attenuate. Combine that with a 148-150 mash temp and I'd guess you can finish 1.012-1.015. It would be easier to down a pint of it than at 1.020 or higher where it's more of a heavier sipper. It won't alter the taste.

Polyphaeon said:
Skip to the bold at the bottom for the twist. Have a scotch drinking friend coming to town and I want to win him over with homebrewing. He also likes IPAs. I have scotch ale and barely wine on hand so I thought a high gravity oaked IIPA might be just right. ABV 8.4 OG 1.086 IBU 65.5 Color 14.3 srm 15.000 lb 2-row Pale 4.000 lb Rye Malt 1.000 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine 8.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 4.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L (All Pellet) Nugget 1oz 60min Nugget 1oz 20min Nugget 1oz 10min Nugget 1oz 0min Nugget 2oz dry hops Yeast = Wyeast - London Ale* 4 weeks primary 4 weeks on oak chips (1oz?) dry hops at 7 days from kegging Never used rye before. Also I want to be careful with the oak as it has overpowered my beer before. The trick is that I will be away for 2 months and I will only really be able to get my spouse to add things to the primary = there will be no racking. I've done lots of beers with only a primary but wonder about how this will effect the oak chips (if they might just sink into the trub). Thanks! *also not sure about this yeast selection edit: corrected type-o in OG
With that much rye I'd add a pound of rice hulls so you don't get a stuck sparge. Also look at Denny's Favorite as a choice for your yeast.

Revised recipe:
15.000 lb 2-row Pale
4.000 lb Rye Malt
1.000 lb Rice hulls
8.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L
Corn sugar to 1.086 (will calculate in the last few minutes of the boil)
American ale yeast (Wyeast 1056 - although Dennys does look pretty cool I have this on hand and it should make a good sub)
Thanks!

Back