Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackAle1

Reaction score
I've done a few extract kits, and I want to move on to making my own recipe... or at least buying all of the ingredients separately as kind of a first step on the way to making my own recipe.

I want to buy
specialty grains
DME
hops.

My question is which online store would give me the best deal when purchasing these items, and how would I go about finding a recipe that incorporates the use of specialty grains and DME?

Recipes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/
Also use the search on this forum to look for the type of beer you'd like to make.
http://beerrecipes.org/

There's too many online supply houses to list and every one swears the one they use is the best. You'll have to compare prices yourself - don't forget to take shipping into account (many places have flatrate shipping).

I love Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew for most things, but I'd say for this sort of thing--buying grains for a one-off recipe--brewmasterswarehouse.com is the way to go simply because you only pay for what you use.

If the recipe has 4 oz of black patent and 8 oz of carafa II, you'd have to buy a full pound of each at most stores but they'll grind and sell just what you need.

That said, getting a mill and accumulating a variety of grains has its upsides, too--much easier to brew spontaneously if you do that.

If you have a LHBS I would shop them to see how their prices compare to online. My LHBS is the same or better for everything except hops so I shop local.
Morebeer is probably closest to you geographically.

I've done a few extract kits, and I want to move on to making my own recipe... or at least buying all of the ingredients separately as kind of a first step on the way to making my own recipe.

I want to buy
specialty grains
DME
hops.

My question is which online store would give me the best deal when purchasing these items, and how would I go about finding a recipe that incorporates the use of specialty grains and DME?

I just ordered those exact things today for the first time, for a recipe I found online based around an extract kit I already had. I spent some hours on the weekend searching and reading and browsing online for the recipe and such. I used midwestsupplies.com since the shipping zone is pretty good for me and the prices seem pretty good. They had the exact ingredients and amounts I needed, 1lb grains, 3lb dme, 1oz hops etc. Good luck!

Back