Recipe Opinions - Straight Forward APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattieSy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm gunna be doing my first AG batch sometime next week, and I've decided to do a straight-forward american pale ale. Here's my recipe:

9.50 lbs 2-row
0.25 lbs Carapils
0.25 lbs Crystal 60L

0.50 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
0.50 oz Goldings (30 min)
0.75 oz Williamette (5 min)

Safale US-56 Yeast

What do you guys think?
Should I skip on boiling the Williamette and instead dry hop them in the secondary?
Any comments/suggestions would be great.

-Matt

Looks good....you could actually use .5 each of the c 60 and carapils in it if oyu want. It won't hurt at all.

Go ahead and add the willamette at 5 mins. You'll get a nice flavor from it.

What are your projected IBUs? .5 oz Northern Brewer doesn't seem like much bittering hops--I bet more like 1.5 oz would get you in the right ballpark.

Maybe 1-1.5 oz. NB for bittering? After the ferment, if you want to, dry hop with a little EKG and a little Willy.

I ran it through promash with the generic AA numbers, and it is saying about 28 IBUs with a 1.056 OG.

Just about perfect if you are looking for a SNPA type beer would be around 45 IBUs.

1.5 oz of NB jumps that to 66 IBUs, which is a little bit out of style. With 1 oz., it comes to about 47 IBUs. Perfect!

As a general rule, I'd try to hit a .75-1 BU:GU ratio for a pale ale. IPA should be 1 or higher.

Dude said:
I ran it through promash with the generic AA numbers, and it is saying about 28 IBUs with a 1.056 OG.

Just about perfect if you are looking for a SNPA type beer would be around 45 IBUs.

1.5 oz of NB jumps that to 66 IBUs, which is a little bit out of style. With 1 oz., it comes to about 47 IBUs. Perfect!

As a general rule, I'd try to hit a .75-1 BU:GU ratio for a pale ale. IPA should be 1 or higher.

Right: I missed that the EKG was boiled for 30, giving a decent contribution of bitterness along with the northern brewer.

FWIW, I think SNPA is more like about 35 IBUs (and gravity in the low 50s, I think).

Latest posts

Back