Recipe Ideas - Feedback (Nut Brown, Irish Red Ale and Milk Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms_Jeep

Reaction score
I am fairly new to all grain brewing, these will be my 4 and 5 batch. I was doing extract before that for a few years. I have made the Brown and Red recipes before both as extract and all grain but I am tweaking things some and wanted to make sure they come out good.
My last Red Ale was a little too brown but tasted very good.
Not sure if I should use all 2-Row or all Maris Otter for the Red Ale

These are all 5.5 gallon finished batches.

Nut Brown
7.5 lbs - TF&S Maris Otter
.25 lbs - Chocolate 550-650L
.25 lbs - Caramel 120L (Or Crystal 120L)
.25 lbs - Biscuit
.25 lbs - Briess Special Roast
US Fuggle 1 oz - 60 min
EK Golding .75 oz - 15 min
Yeast S-04 or Liquid Equiv

Red Ale (not sure on category American Red or Irish Red)
7 lbs - Rahr 2-Row
3 lbs - TF&S Maris Otter
.3 lbs - Crystal 15L
.5 lbs - CaraMunich I 31-38L
.125 lbs - Roasted Barley 375-450L
Glacier 1 oz - 60 min
EK Golding .75 oz - 15 min
Yeast S-04 or Liquid Equiv

Milk Stout
7 lbs - Rahr 2-Row
1 lbs - Roasted Barley 375-450L
1 lbs - Munich 10-12L
.75 lbs - Crystal 60L
.75 lbs - Chocolate
.75 lbs - Flaked Barley
.625 lbs - Flaked Oats
Magnum .35 oz - 60 min
EK Golding 1 oz - 10 min
1 lb - Lactose Sugar
Yeast US-05 or Liquid American Ale Equiv

Whenever i create a new recipe, I always reference the book Brewing Classic Styles. It's a starting point from which I can expand, or keep it the same. All the recipes in that book are simple and excellent.

There are a bunch of different calculators that can help keep within style guides. I really like BrewSmith but there are free ones that are just as good. Roasted Barley may push SRM out of red faster. maybe Melanoiden Malt instead?

Whenever i create a new recipe, I always reference the book Brewing Classic Styles. It's a starting point from which I can expand, or keep it the same. All the recipes in that book are simple and excellent.

Thanks I will check out that book.

There are a bunch of different calculators that can help keep within style guides. I really like BrewSmith but there are free ones that are just as good. Roasted Barley may push SRM out of red faster. maybe Melanoiden Malt instead?

I need to enter these in Beersmith, I have Beersmith 2 and 3 I just wanted to have others thoughts before.

I would say for the Irish red you look like you're on the right track.

My suggestion would mostly be switch the 2 row and MO amounts. My Irish is ussualy around 68% maris oter and 21 % 2 row. Then a little crystal malt ( 20L or 30L) and some roasted barley at a slightly higher percent than yours. I also use us-04 and love how it peforms with this beer fermented in the low 60s. Be ready for that 04 to really ferment hard and have a blowoff set up rather than an airlock.

Back