Recipe IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Looking for an OG of 1.080ish...I want to try my best to let this beer get some age on it, 6months to a year in the bottle, Do you think 100 IBU would be to much? I am using 1056 yeast cake from american wheat beer. Im not sure how much residual sweetness I will have, mashing at 149 I was hoping not much but Im not sure what the specialty grains will leave behind. Any thoughts?

Here is my grain bill
14 pounds 2row
1/2 pound Crystal 90
1/4 pound special B
1/4 pound Carafa III De-husked

Black IPA, huh? 100 might be a bit too much. How confident are you in the accuracy of your thermometers? That 149° could have been 145°... It's hard to say without knowing your exact procedures and your past results. I may forecast for 75 - 80 IBU's to be safe. At that point, you're still not worried about a cloying beer (even of your mash had been 156°)

I was thinking 75 to 80 also . I'm brewing it Friday.
I batch sparge
I use a 10 gallon igloo
I always put my strike water in around 170 and let it heat up my cooler and once it drops to 12 degrees above my target temp I dough in. Usually gets me to my target temp
I use the glass thermometers from the home brew shop, I have two. I guess I could use both and compare temps. I believe they are Alcohol thermometers.
I leave the Thermometer in the mash and check it a few times during the mash to make sure I am still on Target.

I use the glass thermometers from the home brew shop, I have two. I guess I could use both and compare temps. I believe they are Alcohol thermometers.
I leave the Thermometer in the mash and check it a few times during the mash to make sure I am still on Target.

I just learned something the other day from my LHBS (a great guy and extremely knowledgeable). He pointed out to me (and actually showed me be/c he carries both)... check your alcohol/spirit thermometers to see if it has a submergence mark on it. If it does, it's likely 3-4 inches from the bottom. If that's the case, submerging the thermometer to that level will yield accurate readings at any level. If it does not have the mark, you must submerge the thermometer to at least the temperature being measured to yield accurate results. It was interesting to learn to say the least. I'm recalibrating my instant read's on my next brew using the method above.

Back