Recipe help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff20578

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing the below recipe. It says to sparge at 155 for 60. What would be the mash temp? I though sparring was supposed to be up around 180?

for this recipe, as it is written, you would mash at 155F for 60 minutes, then follow your normal mash out and sparge procedure.

mash out at around 180F to stop all enzyme activity, and sparge with water around 165-175 to keep the sugars loose flowing.

I am planning on brewing the below recipe. It says to sparge at 155 for 60. What would be the mash temp? I though sparring was supposed to be up around 180?

Sparge water can be any temperature you like. What many batch sparge folks will do is use the 170°-180° mark to mashout and sparge at the same time.

Just looking at the recipe my guess is he mashed at 155° as well.

for this recipe, as it is written, you would mash at 155F for 60 minutes, then follow your normal mash out and sparge procedure.

mash out at around 180F to stop all enzyme activity, and sparge with water around 165-175 to keep the sugars loose flowing.

so, after the mash, raise temp to 180 then pull grains and then run sparge through at 165-175?
Sorry, if these are crazy questions.

Sparge water can be any temperature you like. What many batch sparge folks will do is use the 170°-180° mark to mashout and sparge at the same time.

Just looking at the recipe my guess is he mashed at 155° as well.
Thank you!

so, after the mash, raise temp to 180 then pull grains and then run sparge through at 165-175?
Sorry, if these are crazy questions.
you would add 180F water to raise the temperature of your mash to 175 ish in order to finish the mash.

Yes. Clawhammer system.
Sorry for not stating this.
ok, then yes. after you 'mash out' by raising the temperature of your grains to over 173or higher, then you pull the grain bag or pipe or whatever and begin sparging with preferably warm water until you reach your intended pre-boil volumes.

ok, then yes. after you 'mash out' by raising the temperature of your grains to over 173or higher, then you pull the grain bag or pipe or whatever and begin sparging with preferably warm water until you reach your intended pre-boil volumes.
Awesome! Thanks for your help!!

Sparge water can be any temperature you like. What many batch sparge folks will do is use the 170°-180° mark to mashout and sparge at the same time..

while it's very true, the temperature of the sparge water doesn't really matter, i've found that using room temp or even colder sparge water only serves to cool down your overall wort temperatures and forces you to take even longer to get that up to boiling.

there may be efficiency issues with cold sparge water as well, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Yes. Clawhammer system.
Sorry for not stating this.
and no worries. I try not to make assumptions on people's equipment or experience.

you can really throw confusion in both directions if everyone isn't on the same page, as it were.

while it's very true, the temperature of the sparge water doesn't really matter, i've found that using room temp or even colder sparge water only serves to cool down your overall wort temperatures and forces you to take even longer to get that up to boiling.

there may be efficiency issues with cold sparge water as well, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
I suppose if the only purpose of the sparge water is to rinse the mash and bring up the post mash volume- temps probably don’t matter as much.

Would there be an issue sparging with temps beyond the 180? This would help with bringing the boiling point up quicker.

I suppose if the only purpose of the sparge water is to rinse the mash and bring up the post mash volume- temps probably don’t matter as much.

Would there be an issue sparging with temps beyond the 180? This would help with bringing the boiling point up quicker.
there can be. you would need to consider the ph of the mash. if your ph is either too high or too low you can pull unwanted flavors out of the grains, such as harsh tannins, etc.

I've never used boiling water, so i really couldn't say with confidence whether it would cause issues or not, but it seems like it's more likely to do harm than good.

yes, this is generally true. you're just trying to get all the sugars and flavor out of the grain as you can to hit your expected gravities.

Many a home brewer of the likes of Michael Tonsmeire and Marshall Schott have experimented and found no issues with efficiency

It has shown to maybe take longer and needing a little more water due to absorption but frankly I haven't found my efficiency drop because of unheated water.

Also, @Yooper taught me that sparge temp doesn't matter...and she's like the Godmother of Brewing.

It does matter when sparging a 52% Rye mash...

But who in their right mind would do a 52% rye beer?!?!?! :)

There was a guy I knew years ago who did a 100% rye beer. He brought samples to a homebrew party. It was, well, interesting!
I love rye and this actually had a nice spicy flavor- but it was so thick and sort of slick too that it was like trying to drink maple syrup. I had a ton of questions for him- this was years before I had heard of BIAB and I wanted to know how the mash, lauter, and sparge went. Apparently, it didn’t. :D

Where do these 173 and 180 mash out temps come from? The purposes of mash out are to stop enzyme activity and thin the mash in preparation for sparging to make it easier to rinse remaining sugars out of the grain. I have always read 165 range for mash out. When I do it with my all-in-one Anvil Foundry I set the controller to 166 for mash out and keep that temp for 10 min before pulling the basket.

I think sparging with boiling water is definitely a bad idea. Tannins and other bad stuff will be leached out at those temps.

Where do these 173 and 180 mash out temps come from?
Yup, I was looking at those numbers too.
They are certainly too high for holding during the mashout, but can be used to raise the temp of the mash to arrive at mashout temps. It's important to understand these temps and not confuse those or mix them up during the processes.

The mashout itself is typically held @168-170F for 10-20 minutes, to denature all (most) enzymes and stop their activity.

For those who fly sparge a mashout is mostly useful or even recommended, as that process takes much longer and could well take an hour. To keep your intended sugar profile, you want to avoid enzyme activity at lower temps (and for extended times) thus preventing the wort from becoming more fermentable.

For those who batch sparge, a mashout is not always needed, as the wort is usually lautered quickly, then heated fast to mashout temps and beyond. The sparge water is added in 1 or 2 "batches" and can be at a much higher temp to raise the temp of the grist to around mashout temps.
But grist pH during the sparge remains important to prevent extracting tannins.

Back