Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NolaMonk

Reaction score
New to brewing im trying to copy or come close to a beer i fell in love with "Echt veldensteiner landbier" malty, crisp and clean very little hop. Beside kit brewing this will be my first attempt at making/creating a recipe any help, advice or comments are welcome.

4.5lb of German Vienna malt extract

3lb of dark munich malt extract

1lb of weyermann caramuich ll

Yeast. Safale k-97 dry

Hops. German hallertau

Their website says an og of 12.5% (Plato?), so 1.050. ABV of 5.4% implies an FG of 1.009 and an attenuation of 81%.

This book says 1.049 OG, 17 SRM, 16 IBU with mostly Vienna malt and 10% Weyermann rauch malt.

I haven't seen or sampled the beer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
To me the grainbill looks like a darker Vienna lager, but with the K-97 yeast, maybe more like an Altbier? Do you have any input on what the IBUs may be? Viennas tend to be around 20ish, Altbiers maybe 30.
I'd try to get as much info. from their website as you can, then plug everything into an online recipe creator and see how it comes out.
Good luck!

Their website says an og of 12.5% (Plato?), so 1.050. ABV of 5.4% implies an FG of 1.009 and an attenuation of 81%.

This book says 1.049 OG, 17 SRM, 16 IBU with mostly Vienna malt and 10% Weyermann rauch malt.
Thanks for the information... i will be back in the states in a few days and will start preparation to begin brewing. I will try to locate the weyermann rauch malt hopefully my LHBS have some in stock i will update you on progress and final product. thanks a lot brew brother

I haven't seen or sampled the beer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
To me the grainbill looks like a darker Vienna lager, but with the K-97 yeast, maybe more like an Altbier? Do you have any input on what the IBUs may be? Viennas tend to be around 20ish, Altbiers maybe 30.
I'd try to get as much info. from their website as you can, then plug everything into an online recipe creator and see how it comes out.
Good luck!
The beer im trying to replicate is a very low ibu 16 to 20 range which i love about this style thanks for the help will update you soon

It is Münich Dunkel lager (Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel etc..mmM). I haven't tasted Veldensteiner beer but I would be surprised if it actually contains smoked grains (rauch malz). There is probably a ton of Münich malt (the base grain could be lighter Münich in 10L category, possibly mixed with some pilsner malt, then some darker Münich malt or caramunich, just a little bit of color from mild tasting roasted malt such as dehusked 'carafa special' version. That (or corresponding extracts) could be something to start with. Hallertauer or Tettnang hops and a suitable German lager yeast. The exact grain bills can be complicated but u want to rely on mostly Münich malts and keep the astringency from roasted malts in control. Wyeast Münich Lager could be nice (liquid) yeast.

Last edited:
It is Dunkel Münich Lager style beer (Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel etc..mmM). I haven't tasted Veldensteiner beer but I would be surprised if it actually contains smoked grains (rauch malz). There is probably a ton of Münich malt (the base grain could be lighter Münich in 10L category and then some darker Münich malt, just a little bit of color from mild tasting roasted malt such as 'carafa special' version. That (or corresponding extracts) could be something to start with. Hallertauer or Tettnanger hops and a suitabl German lager yeast. The exact grain bills can be complicated but u want to rely on mostly Münich malts and keep the astringency from roasted malts in control. Wyeast Münich Lager could be nice (liquid) yeast.
Thanks brother.. I hav been doing some research still. Have a few recipes i will do in 1 gallon batches just to try out ...dont want to get stuck with 5 gallons of something i dont like

Latest posts

Back