Recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
I ran across a garage sale today that had a bunch of brewing stuff for sale. Evidently this guy was getting out of brewing because of wifely pressure. I need to know where to look for recipes, or perhaps a few recipe suggestions, to use all this stuff I got for $15.
Here's the list as labeled:
Malt syrup
2 - 3.3 lb Briess dark
2 - 3.3 lb Briess porter
1 - 3.3 lb briess amber
1 - 3.3 lb midwest brewing amber
Crushed grain
1 lb munich
1 lb red wheat
1 lb chocolate
1 lb vienna
1 lb aromatic
1 lb roast barley
1 lb debittered black1 lb UK chocolate
1 lb crystal
1 lb melamo-din?
1 lb 2 row
1 lb biscuit
1 lb crystal
1 lb 20 degree
1 lb black malt
.5 lb carapils
Hops loose leaf
1 oz willamette 5.2%
4 oz fuggle 4.2%
1 oz tettnang 4.8%
1 oz northern brewer 7%
And a 5 gallon carboy

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Quite a haul!

OK, here's my take: you got a carboy for $15, not too bad a deal. Everything else was free, so disposable. Loose leaf hops are probably fit for compost. You could steep some of the grains for a "pot luck porter" or something. I don't see a recipe jumping out at me, so use the extracts in some beer you were going to make anyway.

Enjoy!

Right off the bat I see a porter, dry stout, brown and an amber style beer.

Garage Sale RIS
6.6 dark lme
4.3 porter lme
0.50lb mollasses
12oz crystal
10oz chocolate
3oz roasted barley
3oz black malt

1oz northern brewer 60 min
3oz fuggles 60min
1oz willamette 30min
1oz fuggles 30 min
1oz tettnange

i threw this together in a matter of moments wihtout putting anything into beermsith. do with it what you will. but if you make it, i need to try it.

wow, wish i could find deals like that. check out the recipe data base on here and brew it up today, today is National Homebrew Day!

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I didn't get right back, I brewed my 3rd and 4th batches on the 7th. They're both bubbling away, guess I didn't mess them up.
Now since I have all this grain I need to figure out a setup that will let me use it and not get killed for buying more homebrew equipment.

Do you know how old the stuff is and how it's been stored? I'd smell and taste the grains before using them, once crushed, they can go stale in a month or two or three. I've no idea how to evaluate the hops or the LME.

Garage Sale RIS
6.6 dark lme
4.3 porter lme
0.50lb mollasses
12oz crystal
10oz chocolate
3oz roasted barley
3oz black malt

1oz northern brewer 60 min
3oz fuggles 60min
1oz willamette 30min
1oz fuggles 30 min
1oz tettnange

i threw this together in a matter of moments wihtout putting anything into beermsith. do with it what you will. but if you make it, i need to try it.

I am kind of liking this myself. I am a late hop fan so I would do 4oz fuggles and the Willamette for 60 and then rest, 1/2oz each at 5 min and flameout. But that is just what I would do!

I don't have mollasses, but I do have sorghum. How would that be different?

Back