Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notnice

Reaction score
So I'm trying to piece together a recipe using Hdb.org. Its a American brown kinda

Brewer: Reem
Beer: Trench town Brown Style: American Brown

Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 24 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 39 IBU

OG: 1.050 FG: 1.017
Alcohol: 4.2% v/v (3.3% w/w)

Grain: 1 lb. American crystal 60L
5 oz. Flaked oats
Boil: minutes SG 1.083 3 gallons
3 lb. 3 oz. Amber malt extract
10 oz. Molasses
2 lb. Light dry malt extract

Hops: 1.0 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 15 min.)

Any suggestions on a yeast would be great. Or any suggestions on any thing would be great as well.
Thanks In Advance :mug:

I'm not sure there's any point using oats as long as you are just steeping them. Oats need to be mashed with some base grain to convert their starches. I would either drop the oats, or do a partial mash and swap some of the extract for a pound or two of 2-row.

Hi Notnice. I would only consider myself an intermediate brewer, so take this advice for what it is worth.

The White Labs web site lists 5 yeasts as being good for American Browns. I think the one you chose should be determined by whether you want a dry or sweet finish and your fermentation temperature. I calculated a 66% attenuation (1.050 to 1.017) in your recipe. All of White Labs recommendations attenuate at 70-80% so you would end up with more alcohol and a drier beer if you use them. You could search for a yeast with an attenuation rate closer to 66%.

White Labs

Ferm Temp Attenuation
WLP001 California Ale 68-73 73-80
WLP007 Dry English 65-70 70-80
WLP028 Edinburgh 65-70 70-75
WLP029 German/Kolsch 65-69 72-78
WLP051 California V 66-70 70-75

Also, your recipe doesn't have much for flavor hops. I'm not sure, but I figured an American Brown would have more of a hop flavor than an English.

Also, I'd leave out the molasses, but that is personal preference and an experience I had with messing up a stout with molasses. :drunk::cross:

Good luck!

Shawn- the oats are more there for mouth-feel/body than for sugar content. The oatmeal stout in my Sig called for them and it seems like it would work for me. I wanted this to be not as sweet as the Irish ales but not overly bitter like pale ales

Beehive- Thanks for the yeast suggestion it was just a guess at the final g ill take a look at the WLP001 and the WLP051.
also Bee I really want to try the molasses, so what did u do wrong or would of done differently with it. I'm planning on adding it late like 5-7min

I think I underestimated the potency of the molasses. My beer didn't attenuate very well and I was left with a really sweet, kind of weird tasting stout.

I would recommend getting advice from someone who has successfully used it as far as quantity and the effects it will impart.

I used a pound in a five gallon batch.

thanks for the advice I will use allot less than a pound . I really want this to be an original maybe a house ale.

On a second thought if not the oats maybe some malotdextrin(sp?)

I used a half pound of molasses in a porter, which tasted pretty funky at first but turned out really well after after 6 months aging. It's a very intense flavor: if you want the beer to be drinkable quickly, I'd start with maybe a quarter pound, and then increase from there if you find you want more of it.

If you are steeping rather than mashing, I would definitely go with maltodextrin (or maybe a pale crystal?) rather than oats for boosting your body and mouth feel.

for mouthfeel, try some biscuit or victory in your mash. the oats will work too, but they really need a full mash. edinburg is a really interesting yeast. finishes nice and malty. california ale is a good all around ale yeast. 4 oz malto dextrin would do good for the body.

4oz of the malto check. and is just steeping at 155 for 30min considerd a mash?
also I'm thinking a litle Irish moss to help clear.

is just steeping at 155 for 30min considerd a mash?

No. The difference between steeping and mashing is that when you steep, you are just dissolving sugars that are already in the grains (which is why it only really works with grains that have a high proportion of sugars, such as crystal malt). In a mash, you start with grain that has no sugar but plenty of starch and enzymes, and control the process carefully enough that the enzymes will convert that starch into sugars.

The main differences between the process from steeping to mashing are:

• Mashing requires some base malt (2 row, 6 row, etc) to provide the enzymes. Oats alone have no enzymes, so you cannot mash them without also including some base malt
  • Mashing requires a precise ratio of water to grain to help the enzymes do their stuff, unlike steeping where you can use as much water as you like
  • Mashing requires very precise temperature control

I thought that I was just checking before sounding like an ass ;) . I'm not relay ready for the mini mash. I really want to get the process down before i venture out.
I have been looking around at allot of other recipes and I think mine will turn out OK just have to do it. except for the molasses everything else looks right. the mo is just the kicker for me to make it a little different

I'm going to change this up a little (mainly because I don't have a scale) :eek:
I'm going to use 8oz of oatmeal and an additional .5oz of Willamette for aroma. Also I want to try this with Wyeast ACT1056 American ale. I would like to also add a little Irish moss at 10min left in the boil

I look forward to reporting back once successful :drunk:

so here is the final version on this. I undershot the OG but its OK:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Trench Town Brown
Brewer: Nice
Asst Brewer: 2
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 14.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.40 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 45.22 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 13.70 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.85 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6.82 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 6.67 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
!st attempt at a brew.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this came out better than expected but, as with most thing I'm am too hard headed to listen and the next time I brew it i will cut the molasses in half. The taste is noticeable and I'm sure with more time it would of worked but I'm half way through this one and i like it. deff a work in progress

Back