Recipe Help - Sour Apple Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I'm entering a home-brew competition, and the requirement of it is to use 4 (previously a mystery) ingredients: apple sauce, Apple Jacks cereal, chicken flavored instant ramen, and pink freeze pops.

I've never formulated my own recipe before, so please bear with me :confused:

I came up with the loose idea of a sour apple gose. I figured I could make a apple desert beer, but then the Ramen threw me off. The spice packets are more salty than anything, so I thought, how could I make a beer taste good salty. Gose seemed like a good option, with the fruitiness of apple. Gose beers are a little sour too, might be a cool combo, like a green apple.

I researched that using Acidulated malt is a work around for a Gose if you don't want to introduce wild yeast into the beer, and not have to sour for a long time (I only have a month). But I thought maybe I could bump up the sourness with some lactobacillus in addition to the German ale yeast.

So here is the result of mashing some recipes together, and again, I don't have any experience doing this, so I really could use any advice you all have. Also I'm doing extract because I just moved and don't have all my equipment out, but I don't know if it would benefit me to do all grain or not.

4lbs Wheat LME
2.4 lbs Pils LME

Steeping grains:
1 lb Acid malt
8 oz Melanoiden malt
Apple Jacks
Ramen noodles (without the spice packs)

Hops + extras:
.5 oz Santiam (60 min)
freeze pops (60 - figured I just want the sugars from it, not much flavor)
Irish moss (15)
.75 oz Coriander (10)
.75 oz Sea salt (10)
ramen spice packs (either 10 or 0)

Rack wort onto:
Apple sauce (maybe some mashed apples too)

1 pkg Lactobacillus first
1 pkg German ale/ kolsch yeast, after a few days of fermenting high with the lacto

Going to use secondary fermentation too, maybe taste and add more things as needed.

I only have a month, so I know it won't really get that deep sour I would like, but I have a deadline.

Please, thoughts!

I am way too new to give you advice on your recipe. However, just thought I would share my experiences with salty gose styles. I've had a few of them and they were AMAZING. I love the salty with the slight sour. Only Child Brewing in Gurnee, IL made an amazing lemon gose with himalayan pink salt. I've had a few others as well and I love them.

It can be a bit risky, as if you over-do the salt, you'll cross the line that separates good from too salty. I know of a few people who drank the one mentioned above from Only Child and said it was gross, like drinking salt water.

Good luck to you in the competition.

Out of curiosity, did you enter the competition of Nepenthe in Baltimore? Either that, or several homebrew competitions in Maryland decided to add chicken flavored Ramen...

If we're in the same competition, I look forward to meeting you there and sampling your brew. Don't worry. I won't steal any ideas from you. We pitched our yeast on our Frankenbrew on Sunday and went a completely different direction than you did.

Heh...I found this thread via google and I'm also part of the Nepenthe event. Figured it's going to be pretty gose-heavy with the ramen seasoning functioning as the salt. I've got another plan though, I was going to do a gose as a backup beer if the first one turns out awful. Last year we brewed two and picked the better one. Good luck to you guys.

Latest posts

Back