Recipe Help-Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schenkel

Reaction score
I am developing my first recipe and would love some feedback. I have never done anything but kits before!

I am shooting for an American Pale Ale with a citrusy finish through a Partial Mash Process. 5 gallons.

3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs American 2-row Pale
.5 lbs Carmel - 20L
.25 lbs Carmel - 80L

.5 oz Summit (18.5%)- 60 minutes
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin (12 %) - 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade (6%) - Dry hopped

White Labs California Ale WP001

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated!

3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
.5 lbs Carmel - 20L
.25 lbs Carmel - 80L

.5 oz Nelson Sauvin (12 %) - 15 minutes
.5 oz Cascade (6%) - 5 minutes
1.5 oz Cascade (6%) - Dry hopped

Estimated:
OG-1.058
FG-1.014
ABV- 5.9%
IBU-35.3

Looks good to me. Never heard of the Nelson Sauvin hops. Do you have an IBU number and expected gravities.

I like it! I'd consider moving the nelson sauvin to 15 or 20 minutes, another cascade (or nelson sauvin) addition at 5 minutes or 1 minute, in addition to the dryhops. Otherwise, I wouldn't change it at all!

I agree with Yooper. She's always promoting adding more late hop additions...and who doesn't like that! Moving the current 10 min addition to 15/20 and additing a late hop addition will give you more flavor and aroma. Should be great, especially for your first recipe.

More late hops. Do 1/2oz at 10min, 1/2oz at 5min, and 1/2oz of 0min. Use whichever hops you like for those additions.

Recipe looks nice otherwise.

Some people report onion when bittering with Summit. Not me, but some people.

BTW, in my mind, this beer will end up a lot like Widmer Bros Drifter. Is that the inspiration?

Quick question: Why use LME and DME in the same recipe? Do you get different characteristics in the beer?

Some people report onion when bittering with Summit. Not me, but some people.

BTW, in my mind, this beer will end up a lot like Widmer Bros Drifter. Is that the inspiration?

I just used Summit for the first time in my IPA. Used it at 60 and DH and no onion, just delicious fruity notes.

Thanks for all the input! Definitely going to add some more late hops. Yes the Widmer Drifter was my inspiration. I love citrusy ales! I prefer IPAs (if you are in Portland, try Amnesia's Desolation IPA-Fantastic), but i wanted something that i could introduce to new craft beer drinkers without overwhelming them!

I will be posting soon with a stout recipe-not much of a stout drinker myself, but trying to get my stout-drinking brother hooked on home brewing!

Updated Recipe with Stats:

3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
.5 lbs Carmel - 20L
.25 lbs Carmel - 80L

1.5 oz
Cascade (6%) - Dry hopped

Estimated:
OG-1.058
FG-1.014
ABV- 5.9%
IBU-35.3

Updated Recipe with Stats:

3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
.5 lbs Carmel - 20L
.25 lbs Carmel - 80L

1.5 oz
Cascade (6%) - Dry hopped

Estimated:
OG-1.058
FG-1.014
ABV- 5.9%
IBU-35.3

looks great. you planning on doing a yeast starter?

Save the money and us us-05 same yeast strain except its cheaper and you get more cells than a liquid strain.

Save the money and us us-05 same yeast strain except its cheaper and you get more cells than a liquid strain.

^^^ bingo. Safale US-05 is the same strain as WLP001 and WYeast 1056. One package of Dry yeast contains roughly double the amount of yeast cells as a liquid vial or smack pack. And it's cheaper.

From my limited experience with Nelson so far, I like it a lot. It has played very nicely with Citra & Amarillo. If this were my pale I'd up the 60 min addition a little and hit the end with a couple more ounces of flavor hops.

Try Widmer's Nelson Sauvin Imperial IPA if you'd like a better idea of Nelson's characteristics or want to get a little more comfy with the idea of using a larger amount of it for flavor & aroma.

Back