Recipe Help for a Mole Spiced Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
my goal is a beer that has lots of Chocolate and Caramel notes- a nice full mouth feel, fruity flavors of dried Guajillo and Ancho peppers and just a hint of warmth from the dried Chipotles. Please look at my recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. For a 5.25 Gallon batch with 68 % efficiency:
1.093 OG
16 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row Belg.
1 lb. Special B
8 oz Caramel Crystal 80L
8 Oz Chocolate Malt
8oz malted Oats
8oz Roast Barley 8 Oz
8oz Mexican Sugar (from evap. Sugar cane)
l oz Target pellets 60 min
Wyeast Trappist High Grav. #3787
I plan on adding 1/4 oz each of Guajillo And Ancho Peppers to boil for last 15 min. in addition to 5oz unsweetened Cocoa powder and 1/2 of a minced Vanilla bean.
I will soak Chipotles in Vodka and add to secondary, tasting every day until I get the right amount of heat.

Why are you shooting for such a high OG? I would tone it down a little if you are going for flavor... A beer with that much flavor and alcohol would be a sipper at best and will probably sit for a long time. I have never added peppers to a beer though so I cannot speak to that.

Why are you shooting for such a high OG? I would tone it down a little if you are going for flavor... A beer with that much flavor and alcohol would be a sipper at best and will probably sit for a long time. I have never added peppers to a beer though so I cannot speak to that.
I am trying to make something that needs a little conditioning, and is meant to be a sipping beer.

I've made chocolate mole porters for years using peppers and abuelita instant hot chocolate disks. Good stuff.

I love the idea of using Abuelita's. Do you add it to the secondary or boil?

I'd add some lower colour xtal, more xtal80, and ditch the specialB. I don't know about the pepper additions, but 7g doesn't sound like much in a 1.09 beer with lots of robust malt character. I do like the theme of the beer you're creating. The mole recipe I last used called for roasting some of the peppers 'till they've completely turned to charcoal. Maybe some black patent?

I'd add some lower colour xtal, more xtal80, and ditch the specialB.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of adding black Patent. Why would you ditch special B? I thought it has alot of Caramel flavor?

Just my personal preference. Didn't like the results the few times I used it, at levels less than your recipe. Had this sort of 'beyond raisins' thing I remember. Almost sherry/oxidized.

Please do post up what you end up using, and the results of course!

Just my personal preference. Didn't like the results the few times I used it, at levels less than your recipe. Had this sort of 'beyond raisins' thing I remember. Almost sherry/oxidized.

I will. Thanks for the input!

I made a lot of changes to this recipe and finally brewed it. It is perhaps one of my best brews. I wanted to age it for a while, but that doesn't seem possible. Its a favorite with family and friends. I will post recipe and tasting notes tomorrow.

For the seasoning I decided to add 3 types of Peppers. Ancho for the sweet, pruney flavor, Guajillo for a little heat and some fruit flavor and Chipotle’s for a little more heat and smokey flavor, Abuelita’s Chocolate for that true Mexican Chocolate flavor, Vanilla and Cinnamon.

I had absolutely no idea on the amounts. I’ve brewed with vanilla before and found out that adding one fresh bean per 5 gallon batch gave barely a hint. I decided to chop up two beans, place them in Vodka, and raise the temp to 170 degrees. I poured this mixture off into a small jar, sealed it and let it sit for about a week. I did the same with 3 cinnamon sticks. I decided on 7 oz of Abuelita chocolate to the last 15 minutes of my boil, and an ounce each of Ancho and Guajillo, all of the vanilla liquid and pieces, and only the cinnamon pieces (leaving their liquid in the jar) to the last 5 minutes of my boil.

Next came the grain bill. I decided to take off on Zamil’s Robust Porter recipe and make a few changes that I thought would enhance this particular beer. I added some Special B malt because I wanted the dark prune/port flavor. I decided not to add sugar, because I didn’t want the beer to be too dry.

After fermentation the beer tasted well balanced, starting off sweet, finishing dry, with a hint of chocolate and a big, bold vanilla flavor. I couldn’t detect any of the chilis, or cinnamon. I racked into secondary. I placed 1 ounce of Guajillo and 2 oz of Ancho in 170 degree water and let it sit for about 10 minutes – just to plump up. I then put them in a sanitized hop bag. I did the same with about ½ oz of chipotles, but I added them in a separate bag, incase I would have to pull them out due to the heat they impart. The bags were tied off with sanitized dental floss and dropped into the secondary. I also added ¾ of the cinnamon liquid.

After 24 hours I tasted the beer. I could detect a hint of the chili peppers, in addition to a tiny amount of chipotle heat. There is also just the right amount of cinnamon. No smokey flavor yet.

24 hours later, I was able to detect a little more of the chilis and heat. No more cinnamon flavor. The beer had a nice dry finish. I added the rest of the cinnamon mix. I realized the flavors were developing slowly, so I let it sit for another 4 days before I kegged it.

Tasting notes: Pours deep brown and very clear. You can tell that it is very clear. It has a nice creamy tan head that is not lasting. I looks very viscous around the edges and coats the glass with a pretty brown.

Aroma: Pepper plants, smoky roasted malt, molasses. A very rich, warm and inviting smell. It makes you want to keep sniffing it as it warms up in your glass.

Taste: Starts out with a mild coffee flavor, enveloped with rich vanilla. Finishes nice and dry with a hint of smoke and a long finish of just the right amount of chili warmth. Very pleasant on the palate long after you’ve swallowed.

Name: Chamuco
Brewer: Vera
Style:
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.48 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 36.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.9 %
Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes.
Mash out at 170
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 5.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.7 %
1 lbs 6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs 3.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.6 %
11.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
7.5 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.4 %
7.5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.4 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.8 %
1.60 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 8 30.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs
8oz Abuelita's Chocolate- 15 minutes
1 oz Ancho dried chili pepper, deseeded- 5 minutes
1 oz Guajillo dried chilli pepper, deseeded- 5 minutes
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [35.49 Yeast 12 -

"Dry Hop"
1 Cinnamon stick soaked in 2 oz Vodka for 2-3 days
1 Vanilla Bean soaked in 2 oz Vodka for 2-3 days
1 ounce of Guajillo and 2 oz of Ancho added to 170 degree water - let it sit for about 10 minutes – just to plump up. Place them in a sanitized hop bag. Do the same with ½ oz of chipotles, but add them in a separate bag, incase you would have to pull them out due to the heat they impart.
Chilis are always different in heat, so I would recommend tasting every 48 hours.

Thank you very much. Any other notes you might have on additions/subtractions after drinking for a few days? What do you think might be different if I nixed the special b and black patent, upping the crystal to 80L? Might you now consider adding more chiles late boil and skipping the vodka soak additions?

Cheers etc.

Thank you very much. Any other notes you might have on additions/subtractions after drinking for a few days? What do you think might be different if I nixed the special b and black patent, upping the crystal to 80L? Might you now consider adding more chiles late boil and skipping the vodka soak additions?

Cheers etc.

It needs the sweetness from the Crystal40. I initially thought I would have to back sweeten with lactose, but I think its the Crystal 40 that gives the sweetness to help carry the chili and spice flavors. When I racked the beer into secondary, prior to tea bagging the additional chilis, I really loved the flavor of the just fermented beer. I almost didn't want to add the peppers. I may brew it again without peppers and just use vanilla.
I understand how you feel about the Special B. It would be interesting to try the recipe without. I wanted a little bit of nutty flavor, since I was trying to imitate Molé. I do like your idea of eliminating the black patent and subbing with Crystal 80 or higher. I may try that next time.
Now, tasting it, the only thing I would change on the spice additions is to try Allspice instead of Cinnamon. I would like a little added hint of that type of sweet spice, but I am afraid to go too heavy on cinnamon because of its tendency to be tannic. I think Allspice would give it that "certain something."
I would absolutely put the total of the Anchos and Guajillos into the 5 minute boil. I would withhold the Chipotles, only because their heat can be unpredictable from season to season (although I don't know that the ones I have can get any hotter than they already are.) I would hop bag the Chipotles in the secondary.
I am surprised at how easy to drink, and yet complex this beer is.

I just brewed a beer that was inspired by this, different base recipe and smaller 1.5 gallons.

My changes:

Nutmeg instead of cinnamon
Still added abuelita but also added cocoa powder (2 mins till flame out)
Just added it to the secondary with ancho/guajillo and cocoa nibs to punch up the chocolate flavor.

I also plan to leave for 2 weeks in secondary to get more spice from the chiles

I'll let you know how it turns out!

This is why I love Homebrewtalk! -There's other people like me here! :tank:

I thought I had done something unique with my "El Rey Del Cabrito" mole dunkel bock but I can see that plenty of other beer crazies have tried, too.

This was one of my best beers ever; I split the batch and did half as a mole dunkel bock and it was also one of my best beers ever. Unfortunately I can't find my spice additions or quantities in my notes anywhere... I'll check my hand-written notes.

I aged the beer in secondary on cocoa nibs (after toasting them just for a minute or two on an oven pan) and then added jalapeno seeds and pith ONLY (I wanted the spice but not a lot of the flavor, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, crushed coriander seeds, and bitter orange peel.
Technically I based my mole spice off of a chocolate mole tart recipe that Jamie Oliver makes.

So far I don't have quantities of my ingredients but my batch size was really strange. Just add a midling amount of everything with the spices in a bag and taste it each day; remove the spice bag when the flavor gets where you want it.

Adam

Back