Recipe for First Time All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix26

Reaction score
Hi Brewers!

I'm ordering my all-grain equipment and some ingredients to prepare my first ever all-grain brew. I'm excited!

I've researched some clone pale ale recipes and other pale ale recipes for a good overall idea for what should be used for a brew.

I'd like to run my ideas/recipes by you folks for some constructive criticism or praise.

Grain
9.5 lbs of Rahr 2 row malt
1 - 1.5 lbs of Breiss 2 Row Brewers Malt

Hops
60 min - 1oz UK Phoenix Hop Pellets
30 min - .25oz UK Phoenix Hop Pellets
5 min - .5oz Mosaic Hop Pellets
Dry Hop - 1oz Mosaic Hop Pellets
3 days until bottle - Orange peel

The idea behind this beer is to produce a cleaner, crisper base for malt and bitterness and then liven up the flavor/aroma with mosaic and orange peel.

What do you folks think?

Thanks!!!

I Like the idea of keeping it simple like this recipe. Im not sure why the 2 different 2-row malts though. If you were looking for a little more malt character I would consider 8# 2-row 2# Vienna or just do all 1 type of 2-row and then .5# of crystal 40

Should make beer!
I would caution orange peel and suggest zest
Don't want the pith in there.
Conversely, look into dried peel(unless that's what you were referring to)

So, I ordered my ingredients, and this is what it is...

Grains
9lbs - Rahr 2 Row Malt
1lbs - Crisp Wheat Malt
1lbs - Crisp Crystal Light 45L Malt

Hops
60 min - 1oz UK Phoenix Hops
30 min - .25oz UK Phoenix Hops
5 min - .5oz Mosaic Hop Pellets
Dry Hop - Azacca Hop Pellets
3 days until bottle - Orange peel (gathered with vegetable peeler - no pith)

Yeast
The Yeast Bay - Vermont Ale Yeast

Any thoughts on the beer?
I didn't want to make a beer that is overly flavored with citrus, seems to me that flavor is extremely redundant. I wanted to go with a more exotic fruity flavor with this. I deliberately kept my malt profile low so I could give more room for my hops to shine.

Thanks!!

I think the preferred way to get orange zest is with a fine grater....I'd guess to free up the citrus oil and aroma. The smell will fill the room as you grate :). Just take the outer orange and not the inner white pith.

Seems like a nice recipe. For a first I would do just hops and malt, and go with fruit further on but that's just my opinion and it's your taste and your beer.

Hey brewers,

So, I ordered my ingredients and slapped it all together in Beer Smith 2.

This is the recipe for now, or until I get some good suggestions..

Boil time - 40 mins (I wanted to try and reduce bitterness to make it more smooth, hence the shortening)

Grains
9lbs - Rahr 2 row
1lbs - caramel crystal malt 45
.25lbs - wheat malt

Hops
1oz Phoenix - 40 mins
.5oz Mosaic - 25 mins
.5oz Mosaic - 15 mins
.25oz Azacca - 5 mins
.75oz Azacca - 0 mins

Yeast
Vermont Ale Yeast
--------------------------------------------------

For color sake, I almost wish now I ordered another pound of crystal malt and maybe subtracted a pound of pale, or atleast got some Irish moss.

Feel free to tell me if its rubbish, won't hurt my feelings, just trying to brew a hop juicy ale.

Thanks!

I would remove the 25m Mosaic addition and just add an ounce at 15m. Looks good. Good yeast too.

Your grain bill looks fine. I would not add more crystal (a pound is a lot already, but not unreasonable) If you want it darker, add one ounce of roasted barley or black patent malt or "midnight wheat".

40 minute boil is okay, but you do realize you can boil for and hour and not add any hops until 20 minutes in? :)

Your grain bill looks fine. I would not add more crystal (a pound is a lot already, but not unreasonable) If you want it darker, add one ounce of roasted barley or black patent malt or "midnight wheat".

40 minute boil is okay, but you do realize you can boil for and hour and not add any hops until 20 minutes in? :)

As above. I personally would use 1/2lb crystal malt and an ounce of patent malt. However, this is a good recipe as it stands for a first brew.

Latest posts

Back