Recipe for conditions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmarshall

Reaction score
Currently I have a fermentation chamber (freezer) with a temp controller in the garage, but no brew belt or such a device to keep the conditions from getting too cold. I live in southern CA so it doesn't get too cold, but it dips below 60 degrees in the chamber at night.

I am upgrading the equipment after christmas, but I have the time to brew this weekend and I would hate to waste the time doing something less important.

I don't really want to commit the space to a lager for a substantial amount of time, but I brewed an APA at lower temps and there were some off flavors that were not appealing to me.

Can anyone out there suggest a style or yeast that does good in the low 50s, but without the long lagering time?

Thanks!

Wort-O-Matic: Fermentation Can Heater

Do you have a dual stage temp controller? If you do, this is a 8 dollar heater that works great. It takes like 5 minutes to make it.

Figured you'd have to be going out to get the yeast, you might be able to swing by the hardware store and get these parts.

If not,

Wyeast 1007- German Ale is 55-72
Wyeast 1728- Scotish Ale is 55-75

I would say a German Alt using the 1007. I made Norther Brewers Extract kit and kept it in the upper 50's and it is awesome. In fact, I can't wait to try it as an AG recipe one of these days. Set the temp controller at 58 or so and let it ride. I ended up letting it warm up to around 64 or so after 3 weeks because it seemed to be taking forever to finish, but I am glad I kept it low for a while as the taste is super clean.

@theveganbrewer awesome build! I have no experience with electrical shtuff but that looks easy enough. And I do have a dual stage (I just have to figure it ).

Thanks for the help. I love this site!

Back