Recipe Development - Blood Orange Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spludge

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted on HBT, hope everyone is doing well.

I am trying to formulate a recipe similar to a ‘blood orange ale’ I had at a small brewery.

I have the following description:

After a brew of pale, Munich, and dextra-pils malts, bittered with Citra, flavored w/ Cascade, and finished with both Citra and Armarillo, 25 pounds of concentrated blood orange puree was added to the fermentor. Just for good measure a couple of pounds of sweet orange peel was added late in the boil as well. This beer isn't as sweet as it sounds; you'll pick up some bitterness from the orange along with all those hops. Type O began fermentation at 14P/1.056 SG. IBUs are about 35, and alcohol is 4.9% by weight. 5.9% by volume

This was a limited release, so I don't have any available for tasting. I do remember that it had the perfect balance of hop aroma with the blood orange.

I realize that without any for tasting, it will be tough to come up with an accurate recipe. But, do you see any major flaws w/ the recipe below?

Thanks!

BloodOrangeAle.png

This will be a 10g AG batch, pitched with a large yeast starter off a stir plate. Primary a month, and then rack onto 3 lbs of blood orange puree concentrate. It will end up in a keg, force carbonated.

All this is open to critique. Please let me know what you think might improve! Different yeast maybe?

:mug:

Back