recipe critique...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumptrucksally

Reaction score
This is based off of the Dogfish Head Clone..

5 Gallon batch, Boil volume of three gallons

1 lb Maris Otter... steeped
7 lb Dry Light Malt

Then continously hopped...
@60min .5 oz Columbus Pellets(12.2aau)
@45min .5oz Willamette pellets(4.6aau)
@30min .5oz Columbus pellets(12.2aau)
@15min 1oz Tettnang and .5oz Willamette

using Wyeast 1056
-------------------------
This is my second batch and any help would be appreciated...

Steeping a pound of Marris Otter will not do much for you, as it should be mashed and is fairly mild otherwise. Are you trying to get some sort of toasty or bready in the beer? If so, you could try about 4 oz. of melanoidin or aromatic malt. If you had to, you could use the British amber or brown malt.

TL

steep some munich instead ;)

and whether you are using munich or marris otter, you technically ARE mashing.

keep your temperature between 150-155 and use a small amount of water for the steep.

DeathBrewer said:
whether you are using munich or marris otter, you technically ARE mashing.

keep your temperature between 150-155 and use a small amount of water for the steep.

I do not agree, unless you only use something like a quart or two of water to steep that pound of grain. You have to keep it tight enough to more than a little background enzymatic activity if you want to call it "mashing." Most folks, when steeping, will use well more than two quarts of water per pound of steeped grains, and that is not mashing.

I hate to pick nits like that, but I just do not want anyone getting confused further on down the road.

TL

TexLaw said:
I do not agree, unless you only use something like a quart or two of water to steep that pound of grain. You have to keep it tight enough to more than a little background enzymatic activity if you want to call it "mashing." Most folks, when steeping, will use well more than two quarts of water per pound of steeped grains, and that is not mashing.

I hate to pick nits like that, but I just do not want anyone getting confused further on down the road.

TL

True if you use too much water you can throw off the p/h and extract tannins:( while steeping base malt

i steep everything in the same amount of water i mash in. 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grain usually.

i think stating "that needs to be mashed" confuses people even more. most newbies don't understand the difference between mashing and steeping.

The ONLY real difference is the amount of water and the fact that you use a base malt. temp should be about the same for mashing or steeping anyway.

So after i steep/mash the grains in the small amount of water do i just add that to my 3 gallons of boiling water for the extract?

Do i also subtract the steeped water amount from the 3 gallons??

Assuming the grains are in a bag, just remove the bag and then add the liquid to the kettle.

If your kettle can handle the volume, just add to the three gallons. If not, subtract the added volume from the three gallons. Keep in mind that the different volumes will affect your hop utilization.

TL

Latest posts

Back