Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhondorp

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been lurking here for a while ever since getting the bug after my wife gave me a brewing kit for christmas! After the first batch, I was both impressed and completely hooked. I'm looking for a general critique on this recipe, which is an attempt at a moderate (bitterness) IPA. Also, will a single pack of nottingham do the trick for this OG? I know its going to be a really active fermentation with a yeast like that and a OG like that so i'll be putting a blow off on right from the get go.

Any and all critiques are appreciated from this novice brewer!

Screen Shot 2012-01-28 at 4.48.06 PM.jpg

I"m pretty sure munich malt has to be mashed. Also, i'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by the addition +30mins? Pretty much all the flavor and aroma compounds will be boiled off after 30+ minutes in the boil. 1lb of honey is quite a bit in my opinion. Plus, I dont think you really get any "honey" flavor out of it(Honey is 96% fermentable). If you are looking for a honey touch try some Gam. honey malt. This is just my opinion... its YOUR beer :). Good luck!

@bradleybrew are you referring to the chinook additions? if so I was just trying to get the bitterness down a bit and figured it would be a fun experiment to see what semi-continual additions did to the flavor. Thanks for the feedback guys! Anyone else?

Yeah I was referring to the Chinook. I just think you would be better off with adding the majority of your hops after the 30 minute mark. Your IBU's are what they are regardless of when the hops are added. You could add 1/2 oz at 60 minutes or 3 oz at 10 minutes. However, after the 30 minute mark is when you will really begin to tell with flavor and aroma, and these hops will add less IBU's because they are not being boiled as long.

You won't notice any difference in the flavor of bittering hops added 60-30 minutes so unless you're really bored and really want to add hops at those times, I wouldn't bother. There would be no difference between 60 minute, 52 minute, 45 minute and 30 minute hops in flavor at all.

I'd do this:

Bittering hops 60 minutes (to get your IBUs in range)
15 minutes
10 minutes
5 minutes
flame out
dryhopping

Back