Recipe Critique - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretcheagle

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time posting a recipe here. I'm looking to get rid of some ingredients I've got lying around while still making a good IPA at the same time. Playing around with Brewtarget, I came up with the following recipe. I'm pretty new to brewing so any recommendations from the group would be awesome. I'm a big fan of Ranger IPA and Sweetwater IPA, so I've inferred that I'm a big fan of Simcoe hops. Totally open to suggestions for toning things up/down on any of the 3 hops, though. Thanks!

Fermentables
.5 lbs Crystal 20
.5 lb Crystal 40
8 lbs extra light DME

Hops
.66 oz Chinook 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe Flame Out
.5 oz Amarillo FO
.75 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo DH

Yeast
US-05

Directions
Steep specialty grains at 160F for 20min

I like it!

I'd probably take that .5 oz simcoe at 60 minutes and move it to later in the boil and make all hops additions about one ounce except for the first 60 minute hop addition.

Like this:
.75 ounce chinook (or .66 oz is fine!) 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
1 oz simcoe flame out (or .5 oz amarillo and .5 oz simcoe)
dryhop with either

.25 oz in late additions is a very little bit for an IPA. I haven't had Sweetwater IPA in ages, but it sure seemed to me that it was hopped better than small additions late in the boil.

I'd even add 1 more ounce of Simcoe to Yoopers 5 min addition and 1 more oz of Amarillo at flame out. It's usually good to have 5 or 6 oz of hops during the boil/flame out especially since you said you are a Ranger guy. Then dry hop with 2 or 3 oz of a combo of Simcoe and Amarillo.

Ranger actually uses Citra too so you could substitute 2 oz of that at flame out. I wouldn't boil with Citra though. It tends to put off a little cat pee flavor when you do. If you decide to use the Citra idea I'd use that in your dry hop combo too. Maybe one ounce of each?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the advice guys. This is really helpful! I'll take both of your advice, and take the simcoe out of the front end of the boil and plus it up on the back end. That leaves me with only the chinook as a full bittering hop. Think that's enough?

I don't have any citra, but it's one I need to try out soon!

Any thoughts on the grains? I figured it's fairly in line with other IPA recipes I've seen on the boards...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back