Recipe Critique : Black/Cascadian Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
Default Before you read this recipe...
Just know that I have no idea what I'm doing.

My Black IPA

5.5 gallon - 7.5 start

60min boil
OG 1.067
FG lower than 1.071
final alcohol % hopefully around 8
ibus 61.82
SRM - 24.57

Fermentables

12lb 2 row
.4lb chocolate malt
.5lb munich malt
.8b carafa I
1lb cara pils
1lb dextrose - or as much as needed to up the OG
I understand I may have to add some darker malts to achieve the desired color.

hop schedule
1.5oz cascade - mash in
1.5oz centennial - mash in
1 oz centennial - 60 mins
.5 oz chinook - 15 mins
.5 oz target - 15 mins
1 oz cascade - 15 mins
1 oz cenntennial - 10 mins
1 oz chinook - 5 mins
1 oz cascade - flame out
1 oz centennial - flame out
1 oz cascade - dry hop for 5 days
1 oz cenntennial - dry hop for the next 5 days

I'll be batch sparging at 165 f

wyeast labs 1087 will make my alcohol.

If you took the time to read this recipe it will be apparent to you that I do not know what I am doing.

Please keep in mind i am extremely open to suggestions.

Thanks

Are you looking for the flavor from the darker grains, or just the color? This looks like it will have a pretty malty backbone for a black ipa, but not unsuitable. All that hopping is too much for me too, but I am not into the very bitter varieties anyhow. It seems like you will make beer.
Only thing that I would change would be the crystal 80 or munich malts. Probably a little high on the total specialties with what you have listed. You said you have the 80L on hand so you want to use it, but that is what I would prefer to drop. Maybe take a lb of munich out and switch it to 2row.

Depends on the character you are looking for in the final product. I think the hop schedule looks good.

I would consider using some Carafa III (or other debittered black) in place of some of the chocolate, unless you are looking for the chocolate character. I think it may be a bit high on the Crystal also. I like the idea of the candi sugar - may have to try that myself!

Here is the recipe that I use:
Batch Size: 5 gallon
OG: 1.081
FG: 1.019
ABV: 8.12%
IBU: 85
Color: 32.0 SRM

10 lb 2-row pale
0.5 lb Crystal 80L
0.4 lb Carafa III
0.4 lb Chocolate
0.5 lb Carapils
1 lb corn sugar @ 10 min

1 oz Summit @ 60 min
1 oz Chinook @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial @ 10 min
1 oz Cascade @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hopped for 5-7 days

I mash for medium body ~ 155F.

US-05/1056/Chico yeast.

This is one of my absolute favorites! :mug:

I'd take out the Crystal, the chocolate, and the candi sugar. For color I suggest double crushing Carafa II or III and either steeping for 10-15 minutes, or adding to the mash just before sparging. I think your hopping schedule is ok, if you like those hops.

A big starter of WLP 001 or Wyeast 1056 and you will have a nice, clean, hoppy CDA with minimal roast.

My local brew shop does not have carafa III what is a good grain to get my beer darker that wont overpower it. they have cara45

My local brew shop does not have carafa III what is a good grain to get my beer darker that wont overpower it. they have cara45

Do they have Carafa I or II? Either of those will work too, you'll just have to use a tad more. Otherwise, ask for "debittered black" - it is essentially the same thing as Carafa III.

The problem with other roasted grains is that they are all husked, which is going to give you much more roastiness and also likely astringency. If nothing else, I would probably go to roasted barley (and I would avoid black patent - it will give you an ashy/acrid taste that I don't think would work well in a CDA IMHO). Roasted barley may be interesting - a hoppy stout :cross:

I don't see any unhusked dark grain on their website, and if that is your only choice for a supplier, I don't think you will get the black color you want without significant roastiness from any dark grains they have available. Thats not saying the beer won't turn out great though. It just won't be the classic CDA.

This is what I have to choose from. Please help an ignorant fellow out.

Caramel 10L
Caramel 20L
Caramel 40L
Caramel 60L
Caramel 90L
Caramel 90L
Caramel 120L
PALE MALT (Brewers 2-Row)
Pale Malt (Brewers 2-Row)
PALE MALT (2-Row)
Pale Ale Malt (2-Row)
PALE ALE MALT (2-Row)
PILSEN
PILSEN
MUNICH MALT
MUNICH MALT
Pale Malt (Brewers 6-Row)
Pale Malt (Brewers 6-Row)
VIENNA
VIENNA
VICTORY
VICTORY
WHEAT
WHEAT
WHITE WHEAT
WHITE WHEAT
DINGMANS (Belgian)
AROMATIC)
BISCUIT
BELGIAN SPECIAL B
CARA 45
CARAMEL PILS (Cara 8)
CARAVIENNE (Cara 20)
PILSEN
GAMBRINUS (British Columbia, Canada)
HONEY MALT
MUNTONS (British)
MARIS OTTER
MARIS OTTER
Maris Otter
BLACK PATENT
ROSTED BARLEY (Unmalted)
CHOCOLATE
CRUSHED CRYSTAL 60L
LAGER
LAGER
CRUSHED PALE ALE
CRUSHED PALE ALE MALT
WHEAT

Looks like the chocolate, roasted barley, and black patent are your best options for the color. I don't think you will want the black patent. Go with 12oz roasted barley, 4oz chocolate, subbing the .5lb of both carafeIII and chocolate that you have right now. I would try add these in at sparge, and not do a full mash with them.

You can also add a small portion (maybe 1 oz) debittered black malt when you sparge if you're going more for color than flavor.

You could also opt to do a cold steep on the black patent instead of mashing it. You'll be able to get the color with less of the bitterness.

Thank you all very much for the input. Unfortunately this is all I have locally. This coming Saturday is the only day I have for about a month to brew so I am on a deadline. I will adjust the recipe accordingly.

Thanks again

Final recipe edited. Turns out lhbs carries carafa I. I called early to make sure my grains were milled ahead of time and ordered based on their website. when I get there what do I see? a pile of carafa I in 1 pound bags sitting on the table.

I have to go back tomorrow because i forgot to get more star san. It takes an epically long time to venture the bridge because of construction too.

Damn my forgetful mind!

Brewed yesterday and it's a bubblin. I'll let everyone know how it tastes

Lol, awesome. I will be doing a side by side 1gal comparison with the only thing changed is the dark grain. Carafa III vs Roasted Barley. Someday soon.

1 week in the bottle (I know its not long enough but i'm impatient) and this beer is extremely drinkable. There is a slight yeasty flavor that I know will go away in 2 weeks but I am very pleased with how this turned out.

Thanks again for all the help

Forgot to post about the final problem. This beer was great. It was even better after being in the bottle for a couple of months. I will be brewing this again friday.

Thanks again for all the help

A small tip... When we make Black IPAs the Carafa & Chocolate Malts are only added to the mash right before sparging.
This way the burnt / roasted tastes are minimized while still extracting the colour.

I may try that. The roastiness wasn't that bad. I think overall it was very good.

Back