Recipe Classification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknizner

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what general classification of ales (e.g., "Stout," "Porter," etc...) this recipe falls under.

Grains:
10 Lbs American Pale 2-row
.5 Lb. American Crystal 90L
.5 Lb. German Carafa II

Hops:
3 oz Hersbrucker* (2.3% AA); (1 each at 60, 30, and 5 min's before boil termination)

Adjuncts:
1 tsp Coriander*
.25 oz Bittter orange peel*

Yeast:
Wyeast Kölsch*

Fermented at 60 deg. F

OG ~ 1.046
FG ~ 1.009

* I recognize that using Kölsch yeast and German hops may not necessarily be "true to style" for a Porter or Stout, but assuming that I had used ingredients that are "true to style" [for whatever particular style you think this grain-bill is best suited for], what classification of beer would this fall under?
Further, I recognize that the use of particular hops, yeast, and adjuncts can be crucial in determining classification, and if it's the case that this particular mix of ingredients doesn't fall under any one particular classification, what would you subjectively classify it as?

My best guess at a classification: Porter or [Dark] Brown Ale

By the way (and most importantly), the sample I had today was delicious

Thanks!

Sounds closer to a spiced brown ale to me, although the use of Kolsch yeast makes it difficult to classify. Sounds interesting, though! What flavors came through in the sample?

Not a stout (no roasted barley or chocolate malt). You can see the general style guidelines used by the BJCP at http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php They will give you a detailed description of each style, including common ingredients used and commercial styles.

I would probably enter it in a competition as a 21A (Spice, Herb, Vegetable) if the Coriander and Orange Peel come through in the final beer, with the base beer listed as a Brown Ale.

Thanks guys, I guess i'll put this one under "Brown Ale[ish]."

The coriander taste was noticeable; the orange peel not so much. I'm thinking that the coriander taste may become negligible by the time I bottle and drink this brew, too.

I'll probably use 2 tbsp. (~.5 oz) coriander and .5-.75 oz orange peel if I brew this again. I tend to be conservative when adding spices. I find that too much spice can make a beer significantly less palatable than an under-spiced beer made from a good grain-bill (which usually tastes delicious regardless).

Thanks again,
Frank

To be honest, at the very beginning I was going for an Altbier. It wasnt until after sampling the beer that I'm pretty sure I missed the mark, and that's why I"m curious as to how to classify this particular brew. Using half a pound each of Crystal 90 and Carafa II was probably a bit much. It seems too heavy-bodied, malty, and almost chocolatey. Perhaps this brew just defies classification.

I do want to brew a more authentic Altbier, however, that's more true to style. To do this, I will probably may use this recipe but replacing the specialty grains with Munich, [lighter] Crystal (maybe 60L), and only .25 lb or less of carafa I or II.

I use Wyeast Kölsch in quite a few of my brews, as it allows me to brew in the 56~60 range, imparts a good flavor, and usually yields a clearer, crisper beer. What do you all think of using Kölsch yeast in an Altbier?

Back