Recipe advice - straying form traditional Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I am looking to stray from the traditional Pilsner with saaz hops. I have a sack of CMC Superior Pilsen on hand, 6 packs of Saflager 34/70, a bottle of lactic acid, and a freezer full of hops to choose from. I will be targeting a 15 gallon batch with a double pitch of yeast.

In particular I have a a generous supply of Chinook, Simcoe, Crystal, Columbus, Saaz, and Styrian Golding.

I am shooting for a super clean american hopped beer. What hop schedule would you suggest? Has anyone tried a Chinook with Pilsen malt? I was thinking maybe chinook and crystal?

I realize that I could use pale malt and brew a hoppy american lager but hoping to try something a bit different this time.

I also considered brewing a traditional Pils with the saaz and then dry hopping with american hops?

What hop schedule would you suggest? Has anyone tried a Chinook with Pilsen malt? I was thinking maybe chinook and crystal?

I realize that I could use pale malt and brew a hoppy american lager but hoping to try something a bit different this time.

I also considered brewing a traditional Pils with the saaz and then dry hopping with american hops?

I was thinking along the lines with you crystal and Chinook or one or the other. I would hop it like any other pilsner. If you use the Chinook all the way through I see you doing lots of late additions which might be the best option here.

Maybe if you brew it with saaz and you want to dry hop it pull a few ounces and dump some American hops in that and do a sniff test. If you keg you can always dry hop in the keg.

Good idea Eluterio. I think I will pick up some Prima pills tonight and sample adding Chinkook and Crystal to Prima in a french press. If that works out well, I will do a saaz during brew day and dry hop accordingly.

Back