Recession Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgruis

Reaction score
Ok...so this is an original recipe...I was looking to use up some hops I had in the freezer...I Love Red's and IPA's...so...cross your fingers hopefully a perfect marriage!

Let me know what you think!

Recession Red IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/30/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Barry Gruis
Boil Size: 5.92 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Storm Mountain Brewing Company
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2 lbs Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.6 IBU

Yeast.....I will pitch 1 packet of Safale US05

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.38 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 51.4 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.3 SRM Color: Color

Looks like a pretty good grain bill. That's quite a bit of crystal malt so keep that in mind when your mashing to make sure your beer attenuates well. The only thing I would probably add would be a flameout addition of hops. IPAs are suppose to have a pretty pronounced bouquet so I'd add an ounce of hops (maybe more cascade or fuggles or a bit of both) to give your beer some aroma. Otherwise, looks pretty tasty. :mug:

I really don't know what carared is, so I may be way off base here. My assumption is that it is a type of crystal malt. If that is the case, you have way too much crystal in the mix (~25%), and it will end up high, and very sweet from the crystal taste too.

What's your intended FG? Estimated is 14, measured is 5.

Use Special B to get the red color. 8 ozs Special B and 8 ozs Crystal. Even then I think you are still on he high side.

I don't see any reason to mix Cascade and Fuggle. I could see Fuggle and Goldings, or Cascade and Centennial, Chinook, Citra, or Amarillo (and there must be others).

20 minute hop addition really doesn't do much in my book. Minimal bitterness (add earlier if you want this) and no flavor or aroma (add at 15 minutes and in). Sure you will get something, but you are using 2 ozs in the hope of getting something; I think you could add a lot less hops later and get more return.

I think he is looking for a small IPA or a big Amber. So, he has too much crystal for an IPA, true. But too many hops for an Amber/Red. But I think he is looking for a combination.

With all that caramel sweetness and hop bitterness, I think you need some more malt flavor for balance. Maybe use a pound of Vienna or Victory instead of one pound of the 2-Row.

I really don't think more speciality malts is the answer. 51 IBU for 1.050+ with almost 25% of the grist being speciality malts is too much for pretty much any beer. Cut the crystal to a pound max (maybe half and half 20L/80L), use some roasted malt to adjust for color and mash low to have a dry finish so the lowish bitterness is perceived as being bigger.

With what you have, I would go with a simple Pale Ale that is redish in colour instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. 1.045ish, 40 IBU, your ounce of Cascade at flameout and no more than 10% crystal malts.

Thanks for the input...I brewed it New Years eve as designed so we shall see.

I didn't realize the Crystal would have that kind of impact on the flavor.

I named this a "Recession Red" because I was trying to use the hops and grains I had on hand to minize the cost.

Thanks for the hops addition information...I didn't realize that a 20 minute addition would be so useless....good information

Back