Recently used French oak wine barrels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withoutink

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My wife works at a winery, and they have a few French oak barrels that are coming to the end of their wine life cycle.

I was wondering, would it be a good idea to see if I could get one? If so could it be used in the storage process?

Note, I don't have my equipment yet, nor have I brewed anything as of yet. Just thinking ahead.

The barrels go quick when they are retired, so I would rather get one if I can instead of missing an opportunity.

However, I'm not sure the profiles that are in the wine would go great with beer. I know I've seen bourbon and wiskey barrels in beer conditioning. Not certain I've seen wine though.

Thanks in advance.

If its cheap, pick it up. I work for a wine company and pricing for barrels is going up pretty dramatically recently, mostly due to demand for used wine barrels from distilleries.

If its cheap, pick it up. I work for a wine company and pricing for barrels is going up pretty dramatically recently, mostly due to demand for used wine barrels from distilleries.

It would be free. :)

I just have to get lucky, and hope there are not too many people requesting one before me.

But the real question is, would it be of use in home brewing. Or would it conflict with the beer?

Stone makes a few beers aged in wine barrels. I haven't tried it yet though, so I can't tell you how good they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back