Receipe Critique - yellow beer for BMC crowd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geepmaley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
5gal batch

5.25lb 2-Row Brewer's Malt, Briess
2lb 6-Row Brewer's Malt, Briess
1lb Carafoam (2 srm)
0.25lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L

Millennium P 0.25 60 10.7IBU
Apollo P 0.25 15 8.0 IBU
Apollo P 0.25 1 0.7 IBU

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast

Predicted Post-Boil OG: 1.042
Predicted Apparent Attenuation: 75.7%
Predicted FG: 1.010
Predicted ABV: 4.2%
Predicted Standard Tinseth IBUs: 19
Predicted SRM: 3

90 minute boil for some carmelizaition/color

Thought about adding some instant grits but not sure how much or if necessary. Shooting for a cream ale kind of thing

Last edited:
Just to compare, I brewed a cream ale a couple of months ago that I'm proud of and I would serve to Bud drinkers. I will brew it again but use corn instead of rice next time, and maybe 2-row instead of pils. I fined with gelatin but did not chill it (no chill haze with all that rice) and the beer is so clear it sparkles.

77% pilsner malt
20% Jasmine rice
3% acidulated malt

mid-20's IBUs (I used all Sorachi Ace hops)
vigorous 1 hour boil
K-97 German ale yeast

Kolsch yeast imparts a very unique flavor profile and is NOT neutral like a BMC lager yeast, IMO.

I'd dump the crystal grain and add flaked corn instead. Since you're doing a 90 minute boil, might as well use pilsner malt instead of 2-row.

I've never used those hops, so I can't make much of a comment there. However, for the pilsen lager in my signature that I've made twice now, I use Perle to bitter and Liberty at 10min for about 22-25 ibu's.

Already got the grains and yeast is on the stir plate. Wondering if I should augment with some corn. Was thinking the 6 row woudl give some corniness.

I like Kolsch yeast. I used K-97 for IPAs and they all turned very nice. The yeast is not a good flocculator, but it does the job with some cold crushing and kettle finnings.

I would say keep the recipe clean. No crystal malt. Just some Pilsner malt, a touch of Munich Light ( I ), wheat and oats/flaked barley. SRM should not be more than 4. I would shoot for a 1.009-1.012 FG.

As a side note, the K-97 gives the beer a different dimension and although it might seem like the beer will turn into a cardboard lager/pilsner, it will make the final product not be as one dimensional.

As for the hops: Apollo might be a bit " abrasive " in the final beer. I would use something like Hallertauer, Saphir, Saaz, one or more of the (new) Styrian hop varities.

Back